Falcon Feathers (Chapter 17)

Hey guys and gals! We have a winner for the school name contest. SKYMUSHROOM!!! I got the idea for the school name from you! Author's note Uyotsvhi is pronounced  ooh yoh juh he. Thanks again for reading. Finally the fun begins. As usual read, vote comment, and tell your friends. Without further delay, Falcon Feathers chapter seventeen is. a. GO!

********************************************************************************

Chapter 17

A Journey of a Thousand miles

Moses' POV

The final bell rang and everyone began to shuffle out of class. I got up from my desk and grabbed my bag. Once I was in the hallway I took a quick walk down to the bottom floor of the main building where the library and archives were. I asked the librarian where the reference section was, and she got up and walked me towards the back. I quietly thanked her and began looking along the walls of books. Once she was gone I stopped looking at the books and started walking towards the door at the end of the the row. The archives, tucked away in a humble corner in the bowels of the expansive library. Most people never come here least of all students. I tried the door and found that it was locked. Since there was no window in the wooden door for me to look through like most other doors on campus I ended my tour and began to walk back to the front of the library making a mental picture everything in my head.

"Did you find what you were looking for sweetie?" The old librarian asked.

"Yes ma'am I found exactly what I needed" I replied.

"Well you know you can't check out reference books, but you are free to come back anytime and browse the books again" she said with a smile.

I thanked her and smiled back. Quietly I left the library and headed up the stairs to the main floor. Quickly I walked to the guild building. Once there I headed up to my room to finish packing. The last thing I put in my bag were my fighting gloves. As I zipped up my bag, I looked at the photo of the six of us that I had framed and put on my nightstand. I unzipped the bag and picked up the photo. I held it in my hands for a while and gazed at it silent reverie. (We had alot of good times since we got here, but still I feel empty.)

Once again, I saw the lights flash before my eyes. They were as bright as they had been back then. The night was just as dark. Despite being inside my room I felt the cold. The chill of winter. I closed my eyes. When I opened them I was outside on a lone hill overlooking a small town. I kept my gloved hands in my pockets as I gazed up at the stars. I was ten years old again. I was sitting down with a full-grown female grizzly bear laying down beside me. I sat with my back against her side as we looked up at the night sky. In our small town in up-state New York far from the city lights, the skies were free of the light pollution that the Big Apple suffers from. We sat there for an hour and a half before the cold got the better of me. Although I was laying next to giant furry mountain, the snow that blanketed the ground still sent its icy tendrils crawling up my body. 

"Come little one, it's time for you to get to bed" Ursa said picking me up off of the ground as she rose herself.

"But I'm not tired" I protested as I began to yawn.

"Of course not" she said and laughed her great thunderous laugh. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and began running down the hill skipping across the street whenever I came to it as I got closer to my house. Once again I came to the woods that surrounded my neighborhood. I carfully picked my way along the path that let out on the main road at the front of my complex as I had a thousand times before. As I had a thousand times before I walked around the bend in the road and onto the one way bridge that lead into the back of my neighborhood. Because of my fatigue I failed to notice the SUV coming around the bend in the road. I was halfway across the bridge when I noticed the headlights. Once again I turned and to my horror saw the vehicle speeding towards me. I jumped and waved my hands to get the driver to stop. The car kept coming. I figured the driver either couldn't see me in the darkness or was drunk. I later found the latter to be true. Once again the adrenaline coursed through my veins propelling my legs faster tha ever before. The car came closer and closer. I was only a few meters away from the end of the bridge. I was fast, but the car was faster. It was so close now that I could hear the engine and feel its heat. I knew I couldn't outrun the car and my legs slowed. In one hellish instant I looked up and saw the earth and sky engaging in a mad swirling waltz and I sailed through the air, pushed by an unknown force. I felt the air surge out of my body leaving me weak and breathless. When I looked up from where I had landed on the ground, I saw that the car had crashed into a large dark mass. The mass shuddered.