Chapter 7: If I Snore, Don't Tell Me

"Autumn, are you even listening to me?" 

"Yes." I said as I continued to read my book.

"Really? So you really do like the outfit I'm wearing? It brings out my eyes right?" Carmen asked, fixing her tinted glasses.

"Yeah."

"You're not even looking at me," she said, taking my book and tossing over her shoulder. A small squeak came out of my mouth, my book. My precious book!

"And I never talk about clothes."

"I was reading." I protested, going back to pick up my book.

She rolled her eyes. "I could see that."

Laurie chuckled. "Maybe if you'd take away her library card she'll stop reading."

I gasped, hugging the book for protextion. "Not my baby!"

"Her books are her kryptonite, lets see if we can rip up a textbook..." Patrice suggested evilly.

"You guys are so evil!" 

Carmen Guzman is one of my closest friends. I don't hang out with her that much because he doesn't know Brooke, but we have a lot of classes together. When Brooke isn't around, I hang out with my other friends. Carmen Guzman, Lauri Brewer, and Patrice Higgins with some other guy friends. I knew them after Brooke, in junior year when I had no classes with Brooke. But we hang out with each other when we can.

"Yes. Yes we are," Patrice said, fixing her beanie.

Carmen coughed. "Can anyone notice anything different about me?"

"You did something with your long, black hair," Lauri guessed.

"My hair isn't black, it's actually a really dark brown!"

I whispered really loudly to Patrice so Carmen could hear me. "She's in denial."

"It's true! Let me show you." She stepped into the sunlight.

"Carmen don't!" I exclaimed. "You're going to burn yourself if you go in the sunlight! Look, you're already sparkling!" 

She rolled her eyes. "Very funny. Just because I like to read vampire novels doesn't mean I am one."

"Or is she?" Lauri challenged.

"As you can see, my hair looks dark brown. Don't you see?"

"Uh huh." Patrice, Lauri and I said in unison.

"You guys, I'm serious. Autumn, what's the color of your hair?"

"A really dark brown," I told her, smirking. 

We all burst out laughing, even Carmen.

"No really," I protested. "You can see it in the sunlight. Watch this."

"I give up," Carmen said.

"Let's go have some snacks," Patrice suggested. "School's over for today, let's get some sushi."

"Wait, I have to go text my mom then."

I pulled out my phone.

I'm going to eat some sushi with my friends.

She texted back.

Autumn, I got out of work early. Stay at school, I'll pick you up.

I frowned, I want to eat sushi with my friends. But remember Autumn, don't be a fool, stay in school.