Chapter 18: New Beginnings (Part 2)

Julie opened her mouth to speak and yawned instead. What were they all talking about? She was getting more tired by the second and couldn't think straight. But she was warm under her comforter, warm and happier than she'd been in a long time. Sure, she was still furious with her parents, but she had them back now. It may be a while before she forgave them, if she ever fully did. But they were her parents. They had promised her answers, and she knew she would get them now.

"Speaking of which, I think you should see Rory. I'd like to have my house back, and it isn't possible with him here. I can't ask him to go, but I think he will once he talks to you." Her mom's eyes flitted to Jamie, who clenched his jaw.

Her heart sped up at the thought of seeing Rory. Her head still throbbed, even after the medicine, and now her eyes were getting droopy.

"He doesn't own her, Dad."

"No, but the connection gives him some rights. This isn't the time, Jamie."

She blinked, trying to keep her eyes open. She felt like she was missing important stuff here but couldn't quite get her head around it. Everything was starting to sound fuzzy.

"How am I so tired still?"

"It's normal for us. I told you, honey. It's sort of a healing sleep. We will talk about all this later. You didn't know what you were doing, so you used up a lot of your own energy. You came close to killing yourself trying to stop Jamie and Rory from killing each other. You'll be fine," her dad said.

"So I zap people? Is that my ability? Do I have one then?" Her words started to slur with sleepiness.

Her heart raced. If she did, she and Rory could be together. It wouldn't be as awkward as him choosing to be with someone inferior to him. Would that mean she had to stay here though? Did she want to be with him after everything he had done? Did this really change anything? She ignored the mixed feelings of happiness and worry.

"Yes, you probably have more than one, since we all do. We will have to talk about all that later. You are too tired now. You need to rest." He touched the side of her head and frowned. "I wish we had a few more minutes to talk, but I think you'll be asleep by then. Do you want to see Rory?"

Julie looked at her family. Andromeda and Jamie had their arms crossed and would not meet her eyes. Lir smiled at her encouragingly. Did he think it was a good idea? Julie nodded. He nodded back smiling wider, looking relieved. Why would he be happy about this?

A moment later the door opened again, and Rory stepped in. He edged around her parents, staying as far away from Jamie as possible, and sat down next to her. He took Julie's hand, and the familiar warmth and longing spread throughout her. Her eyes drooped more. She felt better seeing him, even though it made her more tired. She saw Jamie's fists clenched, but he stayed quiet.

Andromeda started looking back and forth between them, her face unreadable. "I guess we will leave you two alone. Please leave once she's asleep."

Rory nodded but kept his eyes on Julie. Lir put his arm around her mom and pulled her from the room. Out of the corners of her eyes, she saw her glancing back as they left. Her face was creased with worry lines.

"Yell if you need me, sis. I'll be right out here." Jamie made a point of leaving the door cracked.

Rory stared at her. How could she feel like she never wanted to let him go again, but not be sure of him at the same time? She was too tired to deal with all this right now.

"Hey," she said after a moment.

"Hey." Rory smiled and leaned over to kiss her. Her eyes fluttered shut. He held her possessively as she drifted back to sleep.