Chapter 4: Dance, Dance, Dance (Part 1)

“Jules, hurry up and get down here,” Jamie yelled to her. “Ethan is here too, and we need to go if we aren’t going to be really late.”

“I still can’t believe that you are the surprise date that Ethan set up. Why didn’t you tell me?” She yelled back from Darcy’s room at the top of the stairs. She hopped on one foot to get her other purple shoe on.

“You are the one that wanted to find her a date, and I needed one since I hadn’t asked anyone yet. I think Ethan had the right idea, going with a friend. I am not looking for a girlfriend right now.”

“I’ll make sure to tell that to Darcy.” Julie walked down the front stairs. Darcy’s house was built like hers, with a formal front stairway made of dark wood. “Where is Ethan anyway? Why isn’t he in here with you? He’s not waiting in the car, is he? Because that would be… classy.”

“Right here.” Ethan came out from the kitchen holding a glass. He grinned and looked her up and down. She smirked at him and did a little twirl, her loose hair spinning with her as she did it. She never wore a dress she couldn’t twirl in, and as a dancer, she wasn’t shy.

She wore high heels but was still short compared to him. Her lavender dress was cut to swish around the middle of her thighs. The front had a fairly modest rounded neck line, but the back plunged down to the bottom of her lower back. She topped it off with long lavender gloves that stretched up to the middle of her arms and a sparkling crystal choker that belonged to her mother.

“Are you sure you just want to be friends?” His voice was a little deeper than normal.

Julie gave him a quick hug and smiled. “Yup, but thanks for the compliment.”

“Too bad. I think we would be good together. You’re so nice.” Ethan sighed and looked at her a little wistfully. “You’re right, though. I tend to get tired of my girlfriends pretty fast. I’d hate not be friends with you anymore. You’re one of the only girls I’m friends with.”

Jamie cleared his throat. “Can you stop trying to get my sister to go out with you so we can leave?”

“Sorry, man, but she is kind of cute.”

Her brother rolled his eyes. “You know you’re wasting your time. Just feel lucky she’s blowing you off, or you and I might need to talk.” He looked serious when he said this, but his friend didn’t seem to notice.

“Darcy, are you ready yet?” Julie yelled upstairs.

“Sorry.” She poked her head out of the doorway. “I’m trying to finish my hair. Hey, Jamie, glad you’re my date. Takes the pressure off. Another second.”

“Not sure I like her saying that. Shouldn’t she want to impress me a little bit?” He frowned.

“You can’t have it both ways. Look, I need to ask you about something since we have a minute. Maybe even longer, since Darcy has to fiddle with her hair.” Julie waited until he was looking back at her.