Chapter 15: Practice Makes Perfect (Part 2)

Rory smirked a little as their eyes met. Her heart jumped into her throat, and her face flushed. Julie righted herself so quickly that she toppled over and landed on her butt. She blushed harder. He laughed, got up, and came down the bleachers two at a time.

"I have to say, I expected a more graceful ending to your dance. Though I guess the rest of it was so spectacular, I can forget the last part. It was my fault anyway for surprising you."

"You think? How very gracious of you. Now get out." She narrowed her eyes. "Were you following me earlier?"

He grinned at her. "I came here to see you. I know you want to see me too."

Her heart thudded a little. His tall, lean form looked good in the black shirt and khaki pants. He was at the bottom of the bleachers now, and Julie scrambled to her feet in order to stay away from him.

"I don't want to see you. I thought you promised Jamie you would stay away. Why are you here?" She clasped her trembling hands together.

"Come on, Julie. Even if I wanted to stay away, do you think I could for long? You felt it too. I know you did."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Her heart was pounding now. She didn't know what weird power he had over her or if he was admitting that she had the same effect on him—but she didn't want him near her. She did not want to lose control and kiss him again. She swayed at the thought, and her body tingled all over as she remembered kissing him the night before.

Rory circled around her, effectively edging her off from the door. If she could get him to move a little to one side or another, she might be able to run past him. She was fast.

"I don't know you well, but I don't think you have kissed that many boys. Especially boys you don't like."

"If you know I don't like you, why are you here?" She pointed to the door. "Go."

"I think that you will like me. In fact, I'm positive that you will like me."

Julie stopped edging and put her hands on her hips. He was too sure of himself. Now she was going from scared to angry. Luckily, she was in her dancing mode still, or she would be struggling with her memory right now. Did he know about that? Did he think she would forget this?

"Look, just because you have some kind of weird power over me when we touch," his eyes flashed as she said that, "doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it. I heard Jamie. You play games with girls. I'm not going to be one of them."

"So you admit there is something more going on."

"Of course there is! This whole freaking place is like that. I don't know what it is, but I know I can't trust you."

Julie clamped her hand on her mouth. Her eyes were wide as she stared at him. She couldn't believe she had admitted that to this guy.

Rory stopped walking towards her, folded his arms over his chest, and eyed her. "Interesting. So you sense there is more. That is something to think about. Anything else weird with you?"

Her hand dropped from her face. Someone was finally telling her the truth. Of all people to do this, she didn't expect it to be him.

She studied him. Was she wrong about him if he was willing to talk to her? "You actually admit it. Someone is actually admitting it. I'm not crazy? There is something going on. Can you tell me? What do you mean, something else weird?"

"I can't tell you anything." He shrugged like the topic didn't matter anymore and started slowly walking towards her again like he was stalking prey.