Chapter 13: Faker

Julie knew she was a good dancer, but she never knew she was a good actress. Surely her family would notice the shaking hands, the way she kept digging her fingertips into her thighs to stay calm, or the fact that she barely spoke. Yet no one said a word to her.

For once, she was having breakfast with them before school. Her brother was actually there too and not already at the mysterious other school. The three of them-her mom, dad, and brother-all talked about his finals and plans for the summer as if it were a normal day.

They have to know. Or were they like her and Kara? She had to find out.

She took another careful bite of cereal. Her stomach squeezed, and she hoped no one noticed as she gagged a little.

"All right, Jamie," Lir said in a cheerful voice. "Let's get going. You don't want to be late for your test this morning."

"You go to the car. I'm going to get my bag." Her brother stood up, stretched, smiled at her, and came over to give her a quick hug. He didn't seem to notice her stiffen. "Hey sis, maybe we can actually get some time together this summer."

"Yeah," she replied. "That would be great. We haven't been able to spend much time together, going to different schools and all."

His smile faltered. He nodded and turned to go. A moment later she heard him loping up the stairs behind her.

"Hey," she said casually to her mom who was washing dishes at the sink. This seemed to be her preferred hangout whenever Julie was around-washing dishes with her back turned. "Do you think I could go to Jamie's school next year? We would see each other more."

Andromeda stilled. Julie heard a plate clatter to the bottom of the sink. Maybe picking on her mom wasn't the right thing to do. She seemed a bit fragile.

"I thought you loved Muriel? Isn't it better to go to a school that will develop your dancing?" Her mother stayed still.

"It's not bad, but it isn't the Academy." Julie kept her eyes wide open and innocent but dug her fingernails into her legs. She wouldn't think about what she was saying too much. The things coming out of her mouth were just sounds, and she was collecting other sounds. No reason to feel any emotion.

She would remember.

Her mom turned around. Her eyes were wide, and she twisted her wedding band. She looked worried. No, she looked scared.

"I wonder why I never heard from them at all. It's weird that they attended my recital and didn't send a letter. I guess I must not be as good at dancing as I thought. So I thought why not go be with Jamie next year? It is my last year in high school."

Wow, that bullshit even sounded good to her.

Andromeda stood there twisting her ring. Finally her eyes brightened. "What about Kara? She's your only friend here. You don't want to leave her."

"Actually, I was thinking about that." Julie casually took another bite of cereal. It tasted like saw dust. She kept an eye through a veil of hair since her head was down to eat. "I'll talk to Kara today to see if she wants to come with me too. She seems kind of bored with the fine arts school anyway. I think she misses some of the other kids that go to Jamie's school. So we can go together."

She forced a bright smile. It was her dancing smile, and she could force it out at will, even if it was the last thing she wanted to do at that moment.

Her mother rushed over to her, sitting down next to her and taking her hand. Her eyes were wild with worry now.

"Honey, you can't go to Jamie's school."

"But why?" Julie was unable to stop her voice from raising higher.

"I can't tell you. You can't. Please don't push this."

She pulled her hand away, waving it with some real anger. She tried to keep her breath under control and push the emotion aside. "Why, Mom? Why?"

"Julie, it is a no." Her eyes narrowed on Julie's face, her expression sad but expectant.

She was waiting for her to go all spacey. She knew. Her mom knew.

Julie wasn't sure how she managed it, but some inner sense of preservation made her slacken her features. That weird feeling that she got when she was dancing snapped into place. It smoothed out her emotions so she didn't trigger a memory loss. She was relieved, like she was letting go of some of the pent up whatever crawling under her skin. She kept her eyes wide, hoping the air would dry the tears building up. She made herself focus on a point beyond her mother's shoulder. The silver handle glinting against the dark wood cabinets was her lifeline.

Andromeda leaned over from the chair, pulling her into a hug. Julie tried hard not to stiffen or push her away. Her mom shook and whispered. "I'm sorry, baby."

Maybe she didn't know. She had always taken care of her. Julie opened her mouth to say something, to reassure her that she was fine. Then her mother whispered, "I know you won't remember this, but I'm so sorry."

Liar.

A tear fell from Julie's eyes. Andromeda would never be the same to her again. They were fractured, like she was afraid her sanity might be.