Truth Hurts (Part 6)

Jamie cried out and fell to the ground on his hands and knees. Blood splattered his shirt from the multiple cuts on his face. He struggled back to sit upright.

"Jamie...Rory...stop!"

Jamie no longer looked angry—he looked scared. His eyes tilted down to the sides, and he stared at her, holding his hand out as rocks pelted him.

"Julie, I'm sorry...I can't stop it. I let it go too far. I can't stop. I'm sorry. I love you, Ghouls. Please don't remember me like this."

"What do you mean you can't? Why can't you?"

Julie turned to Rory. "You have to stop. Then Jamie will."

Rory pulled his face out of his hands. Blood tears dripped down his face. His eyes struggled to focus on her. His face was white, and he shook his head miserably unable to speak. He mouthed to her "I can't. It's too far. We are not supposed to go this far."

"No. You aren't going to do this to me. You aren't both going to die!"

She screamed, pulling at her hair. She wanted to run to each of them but was paralyzed. She fell to her knees, screaming and shaking.

Something inside her flipped over, like it did when she concentrated on floating as a dancer. Everything went quiet inside her head, though her throat went dry with her screams.

Instead of the calm that came with dancing, this feeling burned through her, pooling in her hands. It sucked out all her energy, until her fingertips tingled with it, and her heartbeat slowed to a crawl.

She inhaled deeply, her head tipping back to the ceiling and her eyes wide. Her skin glowed with the light burning to get out. As her breath rushed out, light burst from her fingertips, arching across the expanse to each boy.

Their eyes widened, mouths open in silent screams as the light hurled them backwards and stopped their fight. As the light left her hands, she collapsed to the ground. Her heart sped up as the sound of the ocean waves outside rushed to her ears.

Julie's eyes closed, and everything went dark.