Practice Makes Perfect (Part 9):

Julie left the house earlier than she needed to. It was only eight. But she didn't want to risk Kara walking around and seeing her out after she said she was sick. She followed the directions, finally turning down an alleyway behind some stores. She didn't like alleyways, but she saw Rory there, standing next to a black Mercedes and grinning at her.

"I hoped you would get here early. Plus, I didn't want you waiting around here alone. I know you don't like alleys."

"Thanks." She hesitated on her moped, staring at him. It had only been three days since she'd seen him, but it felt like a lot longer. She still didn't want to make the first move.

He took her hand and tugged her toward the car. It felt like she was on fire where he touched her, and it was all she could manage to stop herself from jumping him. He pulled her into the car, and she happily fell onto his lap. He managed to close the door as they started to kiss. After a few minutes, he broke off.

"I missed you, but I don't want to spend all day making out in the back of the car. I have a surprise."

"What is it?"

He drew circles in the palm of her hand, and she leaned over to snuggle up next to him. "Though this isn't so bad."

Julie swatted at him.

"You have to promise to do what I ask the whole day."

"Why?"

He kissed her again for a few minutes.

"Okay." At this point she would probably do anything he asked her to. She'd missed these feelings so much.

"Here, get under this blanket, and lie down in the backseat. Don't move."

"What?"

Rory put a fingertip to her lips. "You promised, and I can't tell you."

"Fine." Julie covered herself with the blanket. He closed the door and got into the front seat. She couldn't believe that she was doing this. He could drive off with her anywhere, lock her in a room or something, and no one would find her. Why did that not seem so unrealistic if he was desperate enough? She shivered. Yet, she would still go with him.

If he'd wanted to hurt her, he could have done it ages ago.

"So you can drive? Is this your car?"

"I can drive, but I'm not allowed to have a car of my own yet. My dad let me have his today since I promised I would be careful. I'm eighteen so he's letting me bend the rules a little."

"What rules? Why eighteen? I keep hearing people talk about that. Why does that matter? Can't you drive at sixteen like everywhere else? I never understand why my parents won't let me drive, but all my friends at home do."

"Jules, you know I can't talk to you about that."

She grumbled. As the car started up, she sat up again, the blanket slipping off.

"I can't take you anywhere unless you hide back there."

"What about my moped?"

"What about it?"

"What if someone steals it?"

Rory snorted. "No one will steal your moped here. You could leave the keys in the ignition outside a store, and it would still be there when you get back. There is no crime here. Now lie down."

He seemed so sure that she laid back down and covered herself again. He leaned over the front seat and tucked the blanket in around her carefully.

"Don't move."