Chapter 9: New Schools (Part 2)

"Here we are. The administration building is right there. Do you want me to go with you?"

Julie stared out the window at a complex of small stone buildings and shook her head ruefully. "No, I got it. It isn't like I can get that lost or anything."

The school was set up with four small buildings. At least, they were small compared to the size school buildings she was used to. As was typical of the island, they were spaced between elaborate and beautiful gardens. The shrubs formed arches, and there were private grassy sitting areas as she walked through the entry to the building marked.

She was skeptical about how great this little school could be. Sure, the gardens were spectacular, but that seemed to be normal for the island.

Julie rounded the last hedge and grinned as she saw Kara looking for her, bouncing up and down on her heels. Her long blond ponytail bounced too, making her look even younger than at the beach.

She waved wildly. "Over here. I have your schedule, and I get to show you around today."

The few other kids sitting around the gardens stopped talking and stared at her. She felt like an animal at the zoo. She hurried over to Kara.

"Here." She took her arm and patted it in place. "I will walk you to your first class. This is so exciting!"

Julie forced a smile back at her shining face. Her new friend's exuberance surprised her. The kids sitting around the square got up and started to wander over.

"These are the boys from our class. Maran, Tilik, and Arron." She pointed to each as she said his name. "Those are their nicknames. Their real names are too long and annoying to pronounce, like mine, which is why I go by Kara." She laughed at her own joke.

All three boys quickly laughed too once they realized Kara was joking. Tilik reached out and touched Kara's upper arm. "You are so funny."

"Umm, hello," Julie said quietly as Kara batted at his hand, smiling.

What else could she say to that? Her class in Atlanta had several hundred students. Here there were just five. Really, just five. Well at least it was three boys and two girls. What if it was only one boy? Or worse, the only girl with these boys. Poor Kara! No wonder she had a death grip on Julie's arm.

"There are no seniors this year, so everyone else is from classes below ours. I can introduce you to them later. This is everyone, except for the smallest kids." Kara beamed at her again.

Julie quickly looked down to hide some of her surprise. This was the entire school. There were only thirty kids total. She had to text this to Darcy and Mandy. They were going to laugh so hard. She tried to keep her face blank as she processed this. She looked back up again.

Everywhere she looked were eyes, examining the new kid. She couldn't blame them—they weren't used to new people.