Truth Hurts (Part 1)

Julie woke up early. The sun was rising, and the first bit of orange light touched the dewdrops glistening on the trees outside her window. She looked around. There were no flowers in her room this morning. Instead, Jamie was snoozing in her chair across the room. She smiled.

She didn't know why she was looking. Rory was gone.

Her heart sank. She started to cry again. Angrily, she wiped the tears away and got up. Jamie had said she would get over this.

I can do this.

She went over to her mirror to see if it was obvious she had cried. That is when she saw it—a note stuck to her mirror. Numbly she took it and opened it up, knowing she shouldn't but doing it anyway. This time the note made her stop.

If you meet me this morning at the beach where you pulled me out of the water I will tell you everything. I don't mean about us. I mean everything. I have to see you. I have to explain. I don't care what happens to me anymore. I have to see you one more time. I can't live without you.

The note dropped from her fingertips and fluttered to the ground.

Julie wasn't sure what to do. Did he mean it? Did it change anything? She knew there was more to this, and she needed to know what was going on. She was desperate to know. He knew this. He knew it would make her go to him.

She sat down on the bed, staring at the note on the floor like it was a snake about to bite.

She didn't have a choice. She had to go.

Jamie was fast asleep, so she slipped the note into her desk and got dressed in a hurry. She pulled the garage open by hand, wincing at every squeak. It was early, and she didn't want to wake anyone. She was too frazzled to make excuses, and she knew Jamie would see right through her and try to stop her from going. He didn't like Rory. That was clear even before he found out about them.

The island was eerie and quiet this early in the morning. Her moped buzzed through the streets, the sound carrying far into the silence. Hopefully no one would notice her and wonder what she was doing driving around at six am.

Julie got to the beach path and made her way to the cliff wall. Down below she saw one figure who started to wave at her as soon as he saw her. Rory was sitting on one of the rocks at the bottom of the path.

As soon as she got to the bottom, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her. He kissed all over her face, gasping out words between each kiss. "Oh my god, Julie. I'm such an idiot. You brother is right. I can't give you up. It's not the connection—it's you. I love you."

He loved her.

But it wasn't enough. It wasn't enough until he thought he would lose her. No one should need the threat of the other walking out as a way to stay together.

She tried to ignore the thought as her body responded to him, and she kissed him back. He pulled her into an alcove, almost a cave that was just off the path, and sat her down with her on a stone bench carved into the cliff side. He held onto her tightly, and they spent several minutes making out before he broke it off.

"I promised I would tell you. But I think I will show you instead."