XXV. The art of giving up

Totally missed Troublesome's first birthday, so we're gonna celebrate it now! (This is why I should never become a parent.)

And what an amazing year it has been! Over 250k reads and 9k votes holy shit. I doubt there'd be a second book if it wasn't you guys, I literally love all of you. I've made incredible friends that I've actually met because of this book and all in all, I'm so fucking grateful it's unreal.

Now Wattpad, if you'd like to hand me an award for being so fucking awesome, I'd gladly accept to use as a paperweight for my coursework.

On with el show!
Oh! And I hope you all had great Christmas despite the fact that the Grinch legit stole the Christmas Spirit and I hope you guys have amazing New Years! (Not edited bc editor is currently drunk, ily Lis.)

Bold= Swedishhhhh

T W E N T Y F I V E | THE ART OF GIVING UP

"Well I'm the type of guy that's likes to roam around,"

Carter stirred at the sound of a singing voice, her head throbbing and her muscles tired and stiff. Ouch.

"I'm never in one place, I'm roam from town to town,"

The voice she could hear was singing along to an unfamiliar song and she resisted the urge to open her eyes in curiosity. She wasn't that stupid. Memories of what happened before she passed out were fresh in her mind. She knew the Mountain Men had her.

"And when I find myself falling for some girl, I hope right into that car of mine and drive around the world,"

She couldn't hold back her curiosity any longer, despite the fact that everything in her body told her to pretend to be unconscious still. She slyly pulled at her hands to find they were bound by something by her sides, along with her feet and she could already feel the pressure of a strap around her chest. She was lying down, a hospital bed perhaps? Hesitantly she opened her eyes, recoiling away from the bright light that burned her eyes. It took a few seconds for her to adjust and she tried to look past the blinding light to where she saw a man in a white lap coat with his back to her. She took the opportunity to look around and she tried her best to not gasp.

It was like the room that Bellamy rescued her from, except it was smaller and there was no cages. Just her, the small surgical table besides her, filled with different tools on a blue paper towel, a heart monitor behind her and the man with his back to her. There was no windows and only a single air lock door, meaning there was absolutely no way she could escape. Especially since she was rendered useless with her limbs and torso bound to the table.

"Yeah 'cause I'm a wanderer, yeah I'm a wanderer, I roam around, around, around..." He trailed off as he turned around, looking directly at Carter as her eyes darted around the room before landing on his. He smiled in a twisted kind of fashion and Carter's eyes drifted down to the front of his lab coat which had accumulated splashes and specks of red.

Blood.

"Incredible," The man breathed, glancing down at his watch. "Three hours and forty two minutes, a new record."

Carter wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about, nor did she particularly care. Her heart picked up as she could evidently hear on the monitor behind her and the man's grin widened. He span on his heel and walked towards the door, pressing a yellow button beside it. A buzz resounded before he headed back towards the engineer, his eyes not leaving her at all.