IV. The day Carter became a hero and almost died... again.

Told you the update would be quick ;)

The picture I have so skillfully connected to this chapter is Steven :) It's funny because Colin Ford is literally the most adorable person ever (Aside from Bob Morely and Evan Peters, obviously...), yet I think he's a few months older than me. 

^^ Just so there's no confusion, Steven does have longer hair, right up until the next chapter where he cuts it off and it looks more like le picture.

Bold= Swedishhh.

C H A P T E R   I V- The day Carter became a hero and almost died... again.

"What about Steven?" Carter frowned, gesturing down to the slumbering boy. "We can't just leave him."

"He'll be fine for a few minutes, but you need to come see this." Kara rushed out, her eyes wide and alert. Carter stood there, conflicted, for a fraction of a second before she grabbed her pack and her newly acquired axe and followed the brunette outside of their cabin. They didn't talk as they ran, Carter merely followed Kara's footsteps until they reached a small hill and Kara suddenly stopped, almost making Carter run straight into her back.

"Dammit Kara-"

"-Shh!" Kara waved her arms around in slight panic, immediately silencing the Swedish girl.That's when Carter could hear the distant grunts and cries from the other side of the hill. Kara slowly and swiftly got down onto her stomach and began to crawl up the hill until she reached the top, only half of her face poked out. With a frown of confusion, Carter did the same. When she was in line with Kara, she stopped and peaked over the tip of the hill her eyes widening in shock.

It was Reapers attacking Grounders.

But it wasn't just any Grounders, it looked like women and children with just a single man protecting them. As she looked further into the small group of defenceless Grounders, she noticed one on the floor hugging his knee. She wasn't too sure how she recognized him because all Grounders looked the same to her, but there was something about him that screamed familiarity and that's when it hit her. He was the Grounder she injured just a few nights ago. What was he doing all the way out here? She frowned. The question didn't linger long as she turned her attention to the four Reapers that surrounded the Grounders like prey, weird noises emitted from them and there was something inhuman about they way they walked, like they were constantly on the prowl.

A little girl from the group held a large blade and tried to keep her stance strong, but even from Carter's distance she could see the raw terror on the disgruntled little girl's face.

"What do we do?" Carter swallowed, her eyes wide as she continued to watch the Reapers circle the Grounders.

"I don't know." Kara mumbled.

"We can't just leave them like that, there's kids." Carter bit her lip. She knew that if these Reapers could overpower the Grounders then there wasn't much hope in her and Kara defeating them, but walking away and allowing small children to get hurt wasn't something Carter could justify when the guilt would kick in.

"I know." Kara sighed. "Do you have any smart ideas in that head of yours?"

Carter pursed her lips as she began to think. Taking them head on wasn't an option, not only would she probably get her and Kara killed, but the Grounders too and that wouldn't be much help to anyone. If they could separate the Reapers and take them on their own, there's a chance of victory, though Carter didn't want to misjudge their strength and end up walking into a suicide mission. If only we still had those grenades... She thought and then her eyes widened as her face lit up with an idea.