XX- Kids in the dark.

Not edited bc I was too lazy to send the finished product to my editor-- it is like 1:45am though (I'm sorry Rose, ily.)

Anyway, new chapter-- enjoy :*

T W E N T Y | KIDS IN THE DARK

"Oh how I miss this."

Carter grumbled inaudibly to herself as she crawled through the air vent with utter distaste. The vents on the Ark were much larger and firmer than the ones in Mount Weather, which meant rather than on her hands and knees like she did back home, she had to lay flat on her stomach and use her elbows to drag herself through the ventilation system.

The task would have proved a lot easier had she not have been wearing a dress.

"Jeez, stop complaining." Rae's voice resonated in her ear, not holding back her annoyance. It was the fifth time Carter had moaned about how different the vents were. In all her life, Rae never thought someone would attempt to have a serious conversation with her about the density and width of vents and preferences to the type of vents she would rather crawl in. But alas, Carter had already had that conversation with her.

It was odd to say the least. Then again, she was dealing with an Outsider. Those people were known to be weird, and Carter was certainly that.

"I'm sorry, it's just my elbows hurt." Carter sighed, dragging herself forward. It felt like she had been worming her way through the vents for longer than she had, yet it also felt as if she had made no progress. "You never did explain how you could see me, but Mount Weather's security can't."

"Nothing good ever happens in the ventilation system, they cut it out the circuit ages ago to save power. It's only ever turned on now if there's been a radiation breach." The red head elucidated.

"Little do they know that you're actually using more power than they're saving." Carter smirked to herself as she continued to crawl her way through the metal aperture. "You rebel."

They had spent all night coming up with various strategies to find both Bellamy, Monty and save her friends. Though most of them were duds, dead ends. What was a plan if it had no solution to the problem? And after hours and hours of staring at blank walls, hoping for the smallest amount of inspiration for a new idea, Carter was suddenly struck with an idea.

Working in air ducts was something she did best, maybe they could be used to her advantage...

And from there, the two girls managed to diverse a detailed plan, with not a hair out of place. It seemed all so amazing and ninja like in Carter's head. She underestimated the size of the vent to begin with.

"Next time the opportunity to climb through a freakin' vent comes up, I nominate you to crawl your way through it." Carter gritted through her teeth, the frustration and heat finally getting to her. She wasn't bothered by small spaces, but this was just ridiculous.

"Next time?" Rae chuckled. "When will there ever be a next time?"

"I don't know!" The engineer exclaimed, malcontented with her entire situation. "When we're back on the Ark? There will be a time, I'm sure of it."

"I'd hate to burst your bubble there pal, but I can't leave this Mountain. You know, deathly radiation and all..." Rae trailed off, feigning nonchalance. "Cute thinking though. It's adorable."

"You're coming home with us, Rae." Carter's tone suddenly took a rather determined turn. "After everything you've done to help me, it's the very least I can do. There's nothing left for you in this Mountain, I can give you a home, a family I guess."