nineteen; rush of blood

"So Christmas at your house?"

As soon as Brianna walked through my front door, she couldn't wait to tell me her parents said it was okay for me to spend not only Christmas Eve, but also Christmas Day with them. She was so excited, she went on about it while we ate— what I should wear both days, what we're going to eat, how much fun it's going to be, how excited she was that I'm going to meet her dad and that she's so excited to spend Christmas with me. Her enthusiasm was cute, not gonna lie.

Brianna kisses my knuckles and tilts her head up at me. I peer down at her upside down face. She's sitting in between my legs, with her body leaning back into mine as we half watch a movie. "It'll be fun," she smiles, looking up at me.

"Do I need to bring gifts?"

She laughs. "For who? Are you going to dress up as Santa?"

"Very funny," I say, but shrug. "Well, obviously for you, but like for your parents or your brothers or—"

"You don't have to get me anything," she says, sitting up and turning her body to face me, sitting on my legs.

"Yes I do," I tell her.

She rolls her eyes. "No, you don't."

"Brianna—"

She stops me with a kiss. "Just being there is your gift to me."

Now it's my turn to I roll my eyes. "Seriously?"

She nods and kisses me right in between my eyebrows. "Don't roll your eyes, I'm serious."

I sigh heavily. "But isn't it like polite or some shit to bring gifts?"

A smile creeps on her face as she wraps her arms around my neck. "Baby," she laughs, "you don't have to bring anything for any of us. Just bring yourself and if you really want to bring something, get a box of cookies or some dessert and bring that."

"Should I bring, like, wine or something?"

"I don't need you flashing your fake ID in front of my parents."

"Oh, yeah, right," I mumble, biting my bottom lip. "I'll bring, like, sparkling cider."

She laughs. "It's okay, Michael."

"I feel like I have to bring something," I whine. "Why won't you let me?" I groan, leaning my forehead on her shoulder.

She kisses my hair and moves her legs to wrap around my waist. "I just suggested cookies."

I look back up and roll my eyes. "That's so boring."

"No, it's not!" She counters. "Plus, Connor said his mom makes shitty cookies, so your store bought ones will be great. You can put them on a fancy plate and nobody will know the difference."

"I don't even like cookies that much," I grumble.

She smiles and runs her hand through my hair. "You can bring any dessert you want."

"I'm gonna bring brownies," I confirm.

"As long as they don't have nuts."

"Nuts in brownies are a waste."

"Finally, somebody who agrees!" She says happily.

I grin. "Finally."

"Niall thinks nuts in brownies is the best thing ever; it's disgusting."

I chuckle. "Couldn't agree more, princess."

"And as long as they're not pot brownies," she warns.