Chapter Five

The next day passed by peacefully, but the day after that contained a surprise.

(Maria: I'm pregnant! lol jk! She and Seb didn't do the frickle frackle, laugh a lil guys will ya? Sorry, I'm bad at jokes)

Maria had just finished bathing and was heading downstairs when the knocker set off a deep tone throughout the house.

Maria, closest to the door, went to answer it. What she saw made her eyes widen in surprise.

Three familiar faces stared back at her, and she instantly leaped forward to hug the one in front.

"Zeke!" She practically screamed, squeezing him tight as he returned the hug with a light chuckle. She was excited, she hadn't seen these three in a while. This was going to be so great-

Then a butterknife imbedded itself in the wall right next to Maria's head.

In a quick movement Maria was pushed behind Zeke, only angering the owner of the butterknife more.

In a flash Sebastian was right in front of Zeke and the Fallen king stepped forward to meet the challenge.

"What are you doing here?" Sebastian hissed. Maria tried to move around Zeke to intervene, but Ronan held her back. Samuel watched in his usual calm demeanor.

"I'm here to protect Maria, something you seemed to have trouble with!" Zeke replied hotly, showing an angry side Maria hadn't seen in him before.

"We were doing just fine-"

Zeke cut Sebastian off, "Then why, pray tell, do I see Maria's face plastered around all the supernatural news? Why papers of her bounty are being sent to my door? Why my subjects have come to me wondering if I'm going to hunt her down?"

"Someone is obviously after her, again." Sebastian replied, glaring the Fallen down, reminding him of his old leader Castizel that had went after Maria.

Maria finally wrestled free of Ronan and ducked quickly around Zeke to stand between the two.

"Stop it this instant!" She admonished, pushing both away from each other and placing herself in the middle. Both males looked down at her, vaguely annoyed.

By now everyone else had entered, and Grell was checking out Ronan with a creepy expression on his face. Ronan ignored him.

"What's going on here?" Ciel marched up to the scene, before stopping. "Oh, it's you three."

"I didn't invite you to come help," Sebastian spoke in a quiet, angered tone over Maria's head to Zeke.

Zeke looked down at Maria. "It's a good thing I invited myself, then."

---------------------

"I thought you guys were on good terms." Maria began once everyone had been seen into the sitting room, which was now quite packed considering the amount of people in it. Everyone but the human servants from the Phantomhive manor was present. The tension in the room could easily be cut with the butterknife still embedded in the wall by the door in the front hall.

"We were merely alliances for the time being until you were safe." Sebastian muttered, placing a possessive hand on Maria's shoulder as he stood next to her seated form. She never saw him as the jealous or possessive type.

Zeke noticed the hand, but spoke anyway. "Do you remember what I taught you about the Fallen?"

Maria nodded. It had been a while ago, but the memories were still there.

"Tell me about the relationship between the Fallen and demons."

Maria thought for a second before answering, "The Fallen's earthly leader is the King, but even the King is under the true leader, Satan. The Fallen are in a sort of rivalry with demons, because they are also led by Satan and compete for his favor."