Chapter Ten

Maria watched as Ciel attempted to teach Raoul how to play chess. The male's cat eyes moved lazily across the board before him as he mapped out his next move. Then, still completely emotionless, he picked up a piece and moved it to a different spot.

"Checkmate." Even his tone sounded bored, but a clear smile lit up on this face. Maria laughed as Ciel's eyes nearly bugged out of his head.

"Who's teaching who?" She asked while laughing, and her response was a glare from Ciel.

She left them then, Ciel protesting adamantly that he wanted a rematch while Raoul groaned in boredom, and headed around the house to see what the others were doing.

The human servants had been sent to town to buy more supplies and food for themselves. Samuel was, no surprise there, ironing clothes. Ronan and Zeke were outside, training. She stood and watched them a bit longer as they mock-fought. Grell was off doing Reaper duties, and Sebastian was cleaning upstairs. Everyone was busy with something except for her.

Sebastian had insisted that, until her marred body healed, she was to do nothing. No training, no chores, nothing. Maria, although in pain whenever she moved, was still bored out of her mind.

She decided to go for a walk to try to get her sore muscles to loosen up a bit. This was her mistake.

After sneaking past Zeke and Ronan, which wasn't hard because they were very serious when they fought, even if it was only training, she headed into the woods.

As she walked she remembered the multitudinous amount of demons and rogues that had ran through here, chasing her and her companions.

Lost in thought, she walked about a mile into the forest before deciding to turn back.

Suddenly a flash of motion caught her eye, and she froze before slowly turning to face it. Whatever it was was half-hidden by a tree, so Maria called out, "Show yourself!"

This was not good. She hadn't even sensed its presence. Now it was here, whatever or whoever it was, and she was injured. Could she even run? She was going to find out.

The figure stepped out from behind the tree and her heart dropped to her feet. Her mind went completely blank. Her heart rate increased, and her head shook rapidly back and forth in shock and fear.

"No, no... It can't be! You're dead!" She screamed, already moving backwards, stumbling over tree roots.

He only grinned, his teeth sharpened into points.

"Hello, Maria." William said.

Yeah, that just happened.