Chapter Nine

Maria's vision blurred as she stared in shock at the kitten she had rescued about... how long ago had it been? She couldn't even remember, she hadn't paid attention to how long they had been at the manor.

Nightmare growled, and the sound rippled across the clearing easily. He was easily the size of a horse, and looked more like panther than a cat. He had the fangs of a sabertooth tiger. His eyes were red.

"What. The. Fu-"

Claws sank into her back, and everything came crashing back into focus.

Someone screamed, and it took Maria a few seconds to realize that it was her.

---------------------

Above the entire scene, Samuel joined up with Zeke and Ronan.

"About time you got here," Zeke joked, but the serious expression on Samuel's face made him drop his smile.

"We must hurry." Samuel responded, pointing to Maria's fallen form down below them.

Zeke and Ronan followed his gaze, and both let out very loud curses.

The three simultaneously held out their hands, palms up. They then connected their palms, forming a triangle.

"Lux!"

Beams of white light shot from the triangle formed by the three, and each headed straight for all their enemies. Burst after burst eliminated demon after demon, rogue after rogue.

It took less than thirty seconds for the clearing to be devoid of all life but those of Maria and her group of protectors.

The three Fallen headed to the ground quickly, clearly exhausted by the feat they had just performed.

------------------------

"Maria, Maria!" Sebastian's low, urgent tone slowly brought her back to consciousness. Had she passed out? She couldn't remember.

"Seb..as...tian," Maria croaked out, only to be shushed by the other demon has he attempted to pick her up. As soon as he lifted her up slightly her back bent and she screamed as the feeling of fire burned up her back again. Her head pounded, and her arm was numb.

"Go run a warm bath, please," she heard Sebastian murmur to one of the others as they started to flock around her. She heard a set of footsteps walk away.

A few moments of silence passed as they spoke words she couldn't hear.

The footsteps returned and a voice said, "It's ready."

Sebastian knelt to her level again. "I'm sorry sweetheart, but this is going to hurt. I'll try to make it as painless as possible."

Maria's lips moved in an attempt to say no, but instead another scream emerged as Sebastian picked her up in one quick motion.

She shut her eyes tightly as the pain intensified; the air whooshed past her as Sebastian ran with his demon speed into the manor and up the stairs to the nearest bath.

"This is also going to hurt," he warned, and before Maria could even take a breath she was plunged into the warm bath water.

The pain was unbelievable. Purple clouded the water as whatever it was that was making the burning sensation slowly exited her body. Still, it hurt. She couldn't stop screaming.

With the pain she found her voice.

"Stop! Stop please! Sebastian, it hurts!" She met his eyes and saw that he seemed to be in just as much pain as she was.