Chapter Eighteen

Mother?

For a moment Maria stood there silently, studying the woman before her again. The resemblance between her and Lyra was uncanny, and since Lyra was one of Maria's ancestors the idea of this woman being her mother wasn't too far out of reach. But still...

"My mother died shortly after my birth," Maria stated curtly. The woman smiled, and William moved to stand by her side instead of Maria's. 

"Oh my, I was expecting a little more excitement, but oh well. My name is Lillian Elrose, and after I gave birth to you I faked my own death. I've been watching you grow throughout your whole life, waiting for this exact moment."

Maria's disbelief was clear as she replied disdainfully, "Assuming you are  telling the truth for a few moments, I have a few more questions." The elder Elrose gave a nod as if to say ask away, so she continued. "One, why are you just coming to me now? And two-" Maria's eyes flashed pink as she drew herself up to her full height and hissed, "-when are you going to leave?" 

Lillian threw back her head and laughed cheerfully, William flinching next to her at the sudden movement. As the woman before her continued to chuckle as though Maria had just said the funniest joke in the world, Maria took her time coming to terms with what was going on. She realized that this truly was her mother, not some trashy look alike. She could just tell, her blood could tell that this woman was her family, the one that had brought her into the world. The revelation was shocking, simply put. Nevertheless, she had to remind herself that the Maria Elrose she was now was not one that had been raised in the loving comfort of a mother's arms, she had barely had contact with her own father too. No, this was the woman that had been plaguing her happiness. She was the one that was sending people to kill her and her friends, and because of that, "She" would die. All she needed was the right opportunity to strike. 

"Oh darling, you know so little about your heritage that it hurts! You should be asking me about those red eyes of yours. After all," her mother's eyes glowed red briefly, showing Maria a glimpse of the power that she had, "we are the same, you and I." 

Maria had forgotten about that. "What is this power? What are we? Why is this happening to me now?" 

"Story time!" Lillian sang before clapping her hands together twice. Instantly, William moved out of his freakishly still position and grabbed two chairs, first helping his mistress sit before going to Maria and pushing her none-to-gently into the chair. Maria gripped the armrests, but did not stand up again as William walked back over to Lillian and knelt next to her chair. His eyes stared into nothing as his mistress casually reached over and ran her fingers through his hair as though he were a faithful dog. In a way, he was. 

"I suppose I should tell you who we are before I tell you my evil plan," Lillian stated with a smile, leaning against her backrest as though she didn't have a care in the world. Her confidence was clear and almost overwhelming to Maria, who just wanted some goddamn answers. "Tell me darling, have you ever heard of sirens?" 

Creatures of lore that could get sailors to do their bidding by using their voice. Yes, Maria had heard stories, but she also assumed they didn't exist. "They're real?" Lillian's eyes glinted as she answered, "Oh, yes. They're real." 

"What does this have to do with us? Sirens are of the sea," Maria decided to give off a nonchalant air as she too leaned into her backrest. Lillian noticed the charade and a small smile played on her lips. "Well, they evolved. Now, a very select few roam the Earth. Sadly, they - we - have been hunted to near extinction." 

Maria's heart dropped to the floor and her breath caught in her lungs. "You can't be saying..." 

"Yes, Maria!" Lillian cheered as her daughter finally caught up. "Congratulations, you're the first demon-siren hybrid to roam this land. I thought for sure your powers would come to fruition while you were a Fallen but my, I'll take a demon hybrid as well I suppose." 

Maria stopped listening as she tried to come to terms with what the hell was going on. All this time... she wasn't just a demon.

All this time...

"All this time, I've never been..." 

"Oh my dear, you were never even human! Sirens are like humans, yes, but we have a natural... what should I say, allure  that makes us a little less... humanistic. After all, why do you think Ciel and Sebastian took to you so quickly? Why they chased you around the past however many years? Why they won't leave even after you destroyed their lives singlehandedly- HA!" Lillian grinned maliciously at her stunned daughter. "Oh honey, you've really got them ensnared." 

Maria couldn't breathe. Her throat had closed up. Blood rushed to her head as she began to panic. "They don't love you Maria," Lillian leaned forward, her eyes nothing but red and malice, "they only love the siren in you, and they can't even help it. They don't know they're being tricked in false love." 

"Stop!" Maria shouted, a tear running down her face as she clutched her head, grabbing fistfuls of hair and yanking fiercely. It was all a lie. All of it. The friendships she had with everyone, their will to protect her, her love with Sebastian...

Forced. Unwilling. Fake.

But Lillian didn't stop there. "Now that you know, on to the next agenda: my evil plan. You see, when a siren kills another siren, the power is transferred to them. Energy, power. It cannot  be created or destroyed, only transferred. I conceived you, gave birth to you, and followed you around for years just to arrive at this moment. The moment when I kill you, take your power for myself. Then, I will be able to do anything. I almost thought I wouldn't be able to finish what I started when that stupid Fallen King tried to take what was mine, but here we are." 

And shockingly, it all made sense. This explained why she still needed to sleep and sometimes eat even though she was a demon; it explained her freakish non-demonic power of persuasion. Had Castizel known? Had Lyra?

Maria's shock was slowly being replaced by rage again. She was done. She had nothing left. Her entire life had been a lie thanks to this woman, and now revenge would be sweet. The others may not have truly loved her, but she sure as hell loved them and would save them. She would get revenge for Samuel, and herself. "Yes," she said lowly, standing up out of her chair slowly, "here we are. If you want me, come get me."

Yoooo college is so sweet!! Jk, don't do it. It's a trap. But hey, I found some time to write! 

I'm going to split this chapter up because fight scenes are hard man and I wanted to get something up for you guys since you've been waiting for so freaking long! 

Love you guys, don't kill me for making Maria yet another creature hahaha. I've been setting that up for a while.