Godric's Hollow

ATHENA POV:

We manage to pack the tent up by nightfall. 

"Ready everyone?" Hermione sighs and we all nod, grabbing on to her. The feeling of apparation barely even phases me as we land in Godric's Hollow. The place is dark, but distant laughter and music are heard through the darkness. 

"It's Christmas Eve," I suddenly remember and smile a little. It used to be such a happy time. Harry notices my smile and grabs onto my hand. I land a sweet but quick kiss on his lips and we continue walking. We walk past a graveyard and I can see Harry looking at it longingly. I nudge Hermione and she sighs, also noticing Harry's look. "I think we should look in there, don't you think, Harry?" I ask slyly. He nods as casually as possible but practically runs towards it. We walk around for a little bit before I spot Harry standing over two graves, no emotion whatsoever visible on his face. I quietly walk over, slipping my warm hand into his. He responds by squeezing it, but doesn't break his gaze from the two grave stones. They read Lily Potter and James Potter. Hermione comes over to Harry's other side and points her wand at the grave, making a wreath of flowers appear. The simple gesture makes Harry smile a little bit. 

"Merry Christmas," Hermione whispers from the other side of us. 

"Merry Christmas," I whisper back, then silence falls over us. It's not until Hermione and I both notice a strange woman lingering at the edge of the graveyard, watching us, do we break the silence. 

"We're being watched," Hermione says before I can and Harry glances over briefly to the strange woman. 

"She wants us to follow her," Harry says quietly and starts walking towards the lady. Over the years I've learned to not argue with Harry when he has one of those gut feelings. Apparently Hermione has too, because we both follow him without question. The old woman leads us into a damaged, old house. I look around the house as Harry and Hermione talk to the strange woman. It's dusy and looks like it hasn't been used in years. Some of the doors have been broken down and things are scattered all over the floor. Hermione soon joins me in exploring and cringes whenever she sees a book that's misplaced or misused. Honestly, that girl.... I gasp as I point my wand up and there's blood all over the ceiling. Something's definitely not right here. 

"Harry!" Hermione calls, noticing the strange blood as well. A thump and clatter is heard coming from upstairs. Hermione and I exchange a glance before bolting up the rickety stairs. Harry is sprawled on the floor, a chair in his hand, and fighting off a giant snake. Voldemort's snake, to be exact. Nagini. 

The snake comes at Hermione and I, but she blocks it with a spell. 

"Stupefy!" I yell, but it narrowly missess the snake and hits the floorboards, causing them to break. Nagini then jumps off the floor and makes an effort to reach Harry. Harry quickly rolls out of the way and sends the snake flying across the room with a spell. The snake dissappears for a moment, and Hermione takes the chance to grab Harry's wand for him. 

"Is it gone?" I whisper, but apparently not. It's like I set a bomb off. The snake lunges for me again, narrowly missing my head. "Reducto!" I yell, sending it flying into the wall again. I just manage to grab Hermione's hand before the snake can lunge again. Again, apparation barely affects me as we land in some random place near the woods. All three of us are breathing hard, and my hear is pumping as fast as it ever has been. 

"That was too close," Hermione says as we part hands and start looking for a good spot to set up camp. 

"I agree. How could we be so blind?" I add as I start putting up the protective charms. 

"I don't know, but we should've seen that coming," Hermione says once I come back to help set up the tent. 

"Let's just be more careful next time," Harry adds, looking distant. There's a silence as we set up all of the things and I go to check on the protection charms. It's strangely lonely without Ron here, and I can tell the others feel the same as well. I know Hermione likes him-there's no doubt in my mind that she's suffering more than Harry and I are. 

"I'll take first watch," Hermione suggests once we've eaten and are all ready for bed. She goes outside quietly and I hear her sit down. There's a silence that falls over Harry and I. 

"She misses him," I say suddenly, watching the place where Hermione disappeared out of the tent. "And I do as well." Harry nods stiffly. 

"Am I going to have to die?" Harry asks suddenly, not meeting my gaze. 

"I certainly hope not," I reply honestly and Harry sighs. I take his hand and his gaze meets mine. "You die, I die." Harry smiles a little bit, and before I know what's happening, he kisses me. It's not a desperate kiss, but is somehow filled with so much passion that it makes me shake a little bit. His lips move in sync with mine and everything feels perfect for a quick moment. That is, until his glasses slip off and hit me in the nose. "Ouch."

"Sorry," he says, his cheeks tinting pink. Then we both burst out laughing.