Happy Family

ATHENA POV:

This weekend was spent with my Uncle Albus. I did this often; rotate between my Uncle's houses because, apparently, they couldn't stand each other, but both loved me equally as much. I loved both my uncles very much as well, even though they were both completely different (and I mean completely). Although I have to admit, I like the balance. My Uncle Aberfourth, who I had just spent the week with, tended to be more like...I don't know...a kid. He seemed to enjoy playing outside with me, and always liked to joke around too. Unfortunately, that can eventually get annoying after a while, which is why I'm going to spend the next week with Uncle Albus. Now Uncle Albus tended to be more serious, quiet, and wise. He showed me occasional affection, but was usually very strict. He made me stick to my studies instead of play around outside with the other children. I didn't really mind, though, I've sort of learned to enjoy the quiet time. This week was the last week before I started my first year of Hogwarts and Uncle was very busy with preparations. He insisted that I come and see the school anyways and sort of find my way around the place so I will be able to help the other first years when they get here. Uncle Aberfourth and I had just had a very eventful day in Diagon Alley, getting all the necessary school supplies before heading to Hogwarts.  

"Are we going to apparate there, Uncle?" I ask. "I don't feel like taking the brooms this time, I'm too tired." He gives a nod and takes some of my bags for me. I mutter a 'thanks' and he grabs my arm. I feel like someone is pushing me from all sides and squeezing me as hard as they can. But the feeling is gone as soon as it comes and I land on the hard ground in the forest in front of Hogwarts. Since you can't apparate there directly, this was as close as we could get. I gazed up at Hogwarts, it's towers so high they grazed the top of the clouds. The architecture was medieval, just the way I like it. The place smelled exactly like Uncle Albus smells, like stone, old books and...magic. Don't ask me how I know how magic smells, I just do.  

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Uncle Aberfourth asks, chuckling at my expression of awe. I slowly nod as we make our way towards the castle. I keep giving him sideways glances and he returns them while I'm not looking. It's like this very time we go to visit Uncle Albus and I don't know why. I tried asking him about it once, but he'd gotten mad and made me drop the subject. That also happened when I asked about my mother...

"Ah, Athena! How are you, my favorite niece?" Uncle Albus asks, coming up and shaking my hand playfully.  

"Fine, and I'm your only niece, Uncle," I reply with a grin and he chuckles.  

"How do you like Hogwarts?" He asks, his eyes twinkling.  

"It's amazing! Am I allowed to look around?" I ask, blowing a strand of curly, red hair from my face. It was too long and really needed a trim, but I guess I could hold off for a while. Uncle Albus nods and I start to leave when he interrupts me.  

"Athena-" he says, and I turn around to face him. "I advise you to be careful. There are surprises lurking around every corner. Oh, and all the teachers have arrived, so don't be shy to pop into their classrooms to have a look. They've been informed upon your arrival," he says, and with that, I go to explore.  

The halls mainly consist of portraits and a few empty classrooms here and there. I didn't know what my uncle meant by 'surprises' until I came upon the staircase. Oh, I forgot to mention, they move! Strange isn't it? The length to this marvelous castle seems never ending. I've been wandering for almost and hour and a half and I haven't even covered the first floor. I make my way to a big pair of double doors and my curiosity gets the better of me. I open them wide and gasp to find what must be the dining hall. There are four gigantic tables in the middle of the room while a small one along with a podium stands in the back, facing the bigger tables. I look up to find a big, beautiful starry sky strewn across the ceiling. Must be one of Uncles special charms. I see flags representing each of the houses hung above the four big tables. Slytherin sits on the far left, Gryffindor beside it, Ravenclaw on the other side of it, and then Hufflepuff on the far right. I honestly hope I get in Gryffindor, but both my Uncles said they saw me as more of a Ravenclaw. I sighand walked out of the room, only to bump into two teachers.  

"Ow..." I mutter as someone helps me up. I look up to see to kind looking teachers. One is a woman with her gray hair pulled back into a tight bun with a pointed witches hat covering it. The other is a small man with a purple turban covering his head. They both seem nice. "I'm so sorry, I was just exploring. I guess I should be careful where I'm going." I give them a sheepish smile. "I'm Athena, by the way, Athena Dumbledore." They both smile at me and shake my hand.  

"S-so you're D-Dumbledore's niece! So p-pleased to meet you!" Says the man. I try my best to ignore his stutter. I turn to the woman and she shakes my hand again.  

"Indeed. Professor Dumbledore has told us many great things about you! I look forward to seeing you in Transfiguration. I'm Professor McGonagall." I smile at them and we talk for a while, mostly about how the ceremony goes, and they seem to like me. Of course, I didn't have many friends that were children, so I am naturally good with adults. Professor McGonagall and I discussed how we were going to lead the first years in. I told her that I'd help her if she needed it and she gave me a job.  

"I want you to meet them at the front gates and take them into the Great Hall for me. Usually that would be my job, but you seem to be so eager to help, and I guess I could give the speech when we get there..." She explains and I feel a sudden importance. All the other first years will think I skipped a grade or something. My uncle found me and we had a lovely dinner with all the Professors. One of them seemed to be isolated from the rest of the group though. He has hair as black as night and a unhappy look on his face. Must be Slytherin.  

At the end of the day I went to bed with a big smile on my face. I still had the rest of the week to go exploring, and then all the rest of the students would get here. This school year was going to be spectacular, I couldn't wait!