Summer and Dresses

ATHENA POV:

The days of summer that I spend at Uncle Aberfourth's are quiet and boring. Even though Uncle Aberfourth has never really liked Uncle Albus, he's still mourning. But, truth be told, I think he's mourning for me.  

But today was going to be a good day. Hermione, Ginny, and Fleur's little sister Gabrielle were all coming to London with me to go dress shopping for the wedding. Gabrielle only agreed to go because I was going, and she still feels like she owes me for saving her from drowning during the Triwizarding Tournament. Plus she probably pitied me since my Uncle Albus just died.  

"Morning," I say as Uncle Aberfourth walks into the room, looking like he just woke up. Maybe he's actually sleeping these days.  

"Morning, kiddo," he says, kissing me on top of my pitch black hair before going to make tea. "So what muggle town are you and your friends going shopping?"  

"In London. It's where King's Cross is." He nods and pours me some tea. We sit there in silence as I slurp my tea rather loudly.  

"May I ask you something?" Uncle Aberfourth asks formally and I nod. "Do you love Harry?" The question surprises me so much I almost choke on my tea.  

"Yeah, yeah I do," I say rather dreamily, but catch myself and put a serious face back on. "Why?" Uncle Aberfourth plays nervously with his fingers.  

"Well, if you really do love him I guess it doesn't matter...but...I need you to be careful around him...I mean, he's kind of the most wanted person in the wizarding world at the moment." I sigh but then come to the realization that he's right. I still haven't told him about the horcrux hunting thing...and I don't know if I should. He'd worry too much.  

"I will Uncle, don't worry," I say and apparate back up to my room to get ready. I put on my regular clothes, despite the fact that they clash terribly with my now black hair, and make it downstairs just in time for the others to arrive.  

"Athena!" They all say cheerily and envelope me in a hug.  

"Hi," I reply, not as enthusiastically as I give Gabrielle a hug.  

We talk for a while as I show them around the house, then Uncle Aberfourth says we should get going, and we gladly obey. We grab some muggle money, courtesy of Hermione, and apparate on the spot. I get the familiar yet still totally uncomfortable feeling of being squeezed from all sides before we land in an alleyway somewhere in London.  

"Come on, girls!" Ginny says excitedly as we race out of the dark alley.  

"What is zat?" Gabrielle asks, pointing to something moving past with people inside. It's a rather odd shape and seems to be propelled by wheels.  

"That's a car," Hermione replies, the only muggle-born out of all of us, "muggles use it to get around."  

Half and hour of being in London is basically spent asking Hermione questions about muggle things and how they work. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is if my hair starts changing colors in front of the muggles...yeah, I'd be in a lot of trouble.  

"So Ginny," I say, attempting to pull my thoughts back from thinking about Uncle Albus. "How are you and Drew?" She blushes slightly.  

"Oh we're great. He's actually back at the house helping Ron and Harry with decorations. They're all getting along quite well." Our conversation is interrupted as we follow Hermione through a very crowded street and into a little boutique. It's a small shop, but has very fancy dresses everywhere.  

"Wait, guys," I say, stopping them. "How am I going to pick a cute dress when my hair is black? I want my old hair back!" After a little bit of whining, Gabrielle steps up.  

"If you focus on ze color enough you can change it 'ack." It takes me a while to process what she said, but I try it anyways.  

"It almost worked, Athena, try it again!" Hermione cheers and I focus on how it used to look.  

Fiery red, curly hair. 

"It worked!" I say, opening my eyes and looking in a mini mirror Hermione has. Lucky none of the muggles noticed. My hair is back to its original state, and makes me look happier somehow.  

"Let us go shopping!" Gabrielle cheers and we all rush into the boutique. We spend about an hour just picking out random dresses to try on. I get about three, one a dark green with straps that goes down to my knees, one without straps that is a creamy silver color (and very short), and one that is a deep red that goes all the way down to the floor. Ginny got about two dresses, both of them pink, and Hermione got two very soft pink ones, along with a silver strapless one. Gabrielle, who would honestly look good in any dress in the store, got about six, completely different dresses. 

Already exhausted, we take turns going in the dressing room and showing everyone the different dresses we could buy. Ginny goes first and she picks the long, strapless pink dress.

"Drew will just LOVE it!" Hermione says and Ginny laughs, strutting back into the dressing room to change. While she's changing back into her regular clothes, I decide to wander around the store a little more, not satisfied enough with the dresses I picked out. 

"Need help finding anything?" The lady from the front desk asks, making me jump. She's a young girl, probably not much older than me, and has her brunette hair in a pixie cut. She wears denim jeans, a beanie, and a t-shirt with some muggle band on it that I haven't heard of. Doesn't seem like she'd work in a fancy boutique, but looks can be misleading. 

"Yeah, I just can't seem to find a dress," I tell her. She studies me for a minute before walking to the back of the store. I follow her as she mutters things to herself. 

"You would look good in blue," she tells me and brings out one dress that just makes me want to jump up and down in excitement. It's a dark turquoise with thick straps and lighter blue pearls line the top. It goes down a little bit past my knees and frills out at the bottom. The whole thing is shiny like silk. 

"It's...perfect!" I squeal, thanking the lady quickly and running back to the dressing room just in time to see Hermione step out in the most beautiful outfit ever! It's the silver one that's strapless and hangs just a little bit above her knees. 

"Ron is going to flip out when he sees you in that!" I blurt and see Hermione flush scarlet and Ginny laugh at her expression. "Oops..." That makes everyone laugh, including me. Ginny's eyes fall on my dress. 

"Athena that is the most beautiful dress I've ever seen!" 

"Yeah, where'd you get it?" Hermione asks. 

"It is ze perfect vun for you!" Gabrielle squeals and they make me try it on. It really is perfect. 

"And you are going to leave Harry standing there with his mouth opened!" Hermione giggles and we proceed to having a little slap fight, which Ginny and Gabrielle soon end up joining. 

When we all finally have our outfits, we apparate back to my house so I can get my things. 

"Uncle! We're back!" I call, and he comes in from the kitchen. 

"It's about time. What took you so long?" We all exchange a glance. 

"Uncle, you can't expect to find the perfect dress right away!" I explain, "These things take time." He just rolls his eyes. 

"You really are something, Athena..." 

"I know!" I say happily and skip up to my room to get my things. Apparating back down, I kiss Uncle Aberfourth on the cheek before leaving. I feel slightly sad, though, because part of me feels like I won't be seeing him for a while. 

"Have fun and be careful," he says before we leave. Then Hermione grabs Ginny and I grab Gabrielle and we apparate on the spot to the place the wedding is being held.