Chapter 21

Your body felt light, almost weightless and you couldn't tell if your eyes were open or closed, it was so dark. The void you seemed to be floating in was cold and made your skin prickle. A faint noise could be heard somewhere behind you, like whispering, but you couldn't make out what the voices were saying. You swatted your arms around in an attempt to move in the direction of the noise, but you felt as if you were only floating in a circle.

After what felt like hours of floating aimlessly around in the dark, a bright white light flickered in the distance. As your eyes fixed on it, it seemed to grow. It's light spread and touched the darkness surrounding it and you could make out a faint image paired with the whispers you had heard before.

"I nearly have enough," a black haired man smiled. He was talking to a pale, twitchy boy that was clutching a motionless girl that looked oddly familiar. 

"She's going to make it," the pale boy whispered in a shaky, tear-torn voice. 

"It isn't humanly possible for her to survive this. Besides, she's already-"

"She's going to make it!" shouted the boy, cutting off the man. "She'll come back to me."

"Well," the man sighed, "I guess she wouldn't be categorized as a human necessarily."

The boy twitched and muttered, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"The One must be born or a human and a Creepypasta."

Hope flashed in the boy's hazel eyes and he asked, "Does that mean she could live?"

"Depends on who her father is," the man shrugged. "Some of our kind are very hard to kill, you know."

"You mean that she could have inherited a trait like that?"

"I assume it's possible," the black haired man nodded.

"Then I'm not giving up on her!" Toby declared.

Toby? Why had you called the boy Toby? 

"I'll be right here when you get back, (Y/N)," Toby whispered in the ear of the girl he was holding. Those words echoed through your void and your memories came flooding back to you. Silent tears streamed down your cheeks and you reached out towards the image.

"Why didn't you say that earlier?" Toby snapped.

"You didn't ask," Doc shrugged.

"Now, how the hell would I think to ask a question like that? You practically wrote the book on this thing," growled Toby.

"You asked me to skip my tragic backstory."

"And that was part of your tragic backstory?"

"Yes, in fact it was," Doc sighed. "My mother was The One before your little girlfriend here and my father was a Creepypasta."

"Dang, maybe I should have listened," Toby frowned.

As your fingers drew closer to the image, it began to focus in and out. Slowly the image became blurry and faded away, leaving you with an empty feeling. Then another voice sounded before you, though no image accompanied the man's voice.

"Don't cry."

"Who are you?" you whispered.

"I wouldn't expect you to remember me very well," the man sighed.

"Am I dead?"

"What a cliche question to ask," chuckled the man. "Yes, you are."

Your breath hitched in your throat.