Chapter 10

"Wrong," Toby tisked and grabbed your elbow, lifting your arm up farther and straightening out your posture. 

"This is hard," you groaned. "I didn't know this much work went into throwing a knife."

"This doesn't seem to be working for you," he laughed as you released the knife mid-air and it bounced off the outer rim of the target. You let out a sigh and hung your head.

"Hey, chin up," Toby chuckled softly and put his finger under your chin, lifting your face up. A blush crept its way onto your face and Toby laughed, planting a kiss on your forehead.

"H- Hey!" You stammered.

"How about we try swords next?" Toby asked, acting as if nothing had happened. After only twenty minutes of trying your hand at swords, you discovered you were no good with them either. You worked with everything from axes to staffs to scythes, but nothing seemed to suit you. After breaking a bow and arrow, you sunk to your knees in the grass and fell back, letting the earth relax you. Toby plopped down beside you and yawned. The sun hung low in the sky and it's bright orange made the trees around you look black and grey.

"I'm hopeless," you muttered, yanking a handful of grass up and throwing it behind you.

"No you aren't," Toby sighed, "You just have to find something that you identify with."

"You're right," you nod and sit up, taking another handful of grass with you. "What weapon says failure?"

"Oh, come on. Don't be like that," he frowned, rolling over onto his side and resting his chin on his hand.

"I'll never be like you guys," you sighed.

"Not with that attitude," Toby said. "I have an idea."

"And what would that be?"

"We should go back to your house," he offered quietly. Your eyes widened and you stared at Toby in shock.

"What's that going to do?" you snapped.

"You might find what you're looking for," he shrugged.

"If that's what you think will help, Mr. Rogers," you sigh.

"Did you just call me Mr. Rogers?" Toby laughed.

"You heard me," you grinned as you got to your feet. "Now, what time are we going to my old house?"

"Are you okay to go now?" He asked.

With a sigh, you replied, "Sure. Might as well get it over with."

Toby took your hand and you let his randomly timed ticks and twitches steal your thoughts as he led you into the forest.

***

It was dark when you arrived and you and Toby split up to make sure your mother wasn't home. When you both were satisfied with the deserted building, Toby boosted you up to an open window. He climbed in after you and landed on his feet with a thud.

You stared in sadly at the chaotic state of the house. The rug in the hall was thrown against the stairs and bottles of assorted alcoholic beverages littered both floors. The kitchen was covered in shattered plates and glasses and the living room was in shambles.

"She's getting worse," you whispered to yourself as you stepped over the shards of a picture frame. Four grinning faces lie distorted in the center.

Toby picked up the photograph and smiled. "You were an adorable toddler."

"Shut up," you laughed and made your way back up the stairs. When you opened to door to your old room, you froze, bile rising in your throat. You wanted to scream, but you couldn't make a sound. You sunk to your knees, ignoring the shards of a broken beer bottle digging into your skin.

"(Y/N)!" Toby shouted and knelt at your side. He scooped you into his chest, but images of the room flashed across your mind over and over. Your mother had taken a large meat cleaver and buried it in her side. In blood on the wall behind her was written, I'm so sorry (Y/N).

You were too shocked and horrified to cry.

"(Y/N)?" Toby whispered, his breath tickling your neck. You remained silent as you pushed Toby back and staggered to your feet. Ignoring the horrible smell and gore, you wrapped your fingers around the handle of the cleaver and yanked it from your mother's side.

"You were right," you laughed in a low voice as you shuffled past Toby, broken glass falling from gashes in your shins. "I found it."

Toby picked you up bridal style and carried you down the stars, setting you on the counter with a sigh. He dug through the cabinets for rubbing alcohol and a rag and set them down beside you.

"How many times do I have to dig glass out of your appendages?" He asked with a weak smile.

"Approximately four times," you laughed.

"Two down, two to go," Toby announced and poured rubbing alcohol across your shins with no warning.

"Ow, damnit!" You yelped.

"Thought if I warned you, it'd make it worse," He shrugged with a laugh. "Sorry."

Once he had removed all the glass and cleaned the cuts, he helped you to your feet. He found a full bottle of Vodka in the cupboard and smashed it on the ground, pulling a small matchbox from his pocket. He gave you a questioning look before he lit it and you nodded solemnly.

"Are you okay?" He asked you as you cast a weary look at your burning house.

"Yeah," you smiled weakly, spinning your cleaver in your right hand and holding Toby's hand with your left. "I'm fine."

Ta da! Chapter 10! I hope you liked it! What do you think about the cleaver as your weapon? Yay or nay? Comment what you thought and check out my new story if you feel like it! Thank you very much for reading, my lovelies!

Stay hella rad!