Chapter 8

The wind tugged at your hair as you sat on a bench and read your book. You had an uneasy feeling, like you were being watched, but you ignored it. You didn't know he was behind you. You flipped through the pages and pushed your hair behind your ear in an attempt to tame it. Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around your shoulders.

You yelped and jumped up, spinning around to meet your attacker. Toby was standing there in the black turtleneck he'd let you borrow yesterday with a goofy grin on his face. He'd told you to meet him here last night when he pulled you into the closet and revealed that it was you he wanted to ask on a date.

"Didn't mean to scare you," He chuckled with a twitch.

"No," you smiled, "it's fine. What did you want to meet me here for?"

"Our date of course," He shrugged.

"You didn't even give me an option to reject!"

"Were you going to?" He asked.

"Well, no," you sighed.

"Then it's fine!" He laughed, twitching slightly.

"Whatever," you pouted. "Where are we going?"

"Back there a ways." He pointing off into the woods behind you.

"But it'll be dark soon!"

"Just come on. Don't you trust me?"

"Unfortunately," you sighed, and followed after Toby as he led you through the thick of trees. You tried to analyze what he'd planed by looking him up and down as you walked. He didn't have a basket so it wasn't a picnic, no candles either. His goggles were missing and you became entranced by the way his hair bounced ever so slightly with every step he took.

"Can I help you?" He asked.

"N- no!" You squealed.

"Then quick checking me out," He smirked.

"I was not checking you out!" You growled.

"Sure looked like it."

"For your information," you snapped hotly, "I was trying to figure out what you have planned."

"Did checking me out help you come to a conclusion?" Toby grinned. All you could do was huff angrily, knowing any further attempt to dig yourself out of this hole would only make it deeper. You walked along a paved path for a quarter of a mile before it disappeared into gravel, and shortly after, into dirt. By the time you'd walk about a mile, there was no trail left to follow.

"Um, Toby?"

"Yeah?"

"The trail is gone."

"Yep."

"H- how do you know where we're going?"

"I've been here a thousand times," He assured you. You still felt uneasy until you felt his hand twitch closer to yours. You weren't sure what to do with yourself, so you let his hand wrap around your fingers, your face burning. You focused on the invisible path in front of you in hopes of hiding your crimson face from Toby. You could feel his hand twitching in yours and it made you even more nervous.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," you sighed. "Why?"

"I can feel your hand shaking." You suddenly felt very self conscious and dropped Toby's hand. He frowned slightly but didn't try to take you hand back, which you had mixed feelings about. Toby's hand had felt warm in yours and you found comfort in the way he held your fingers, not your whole palm. You silently cursed yourself for whimping out.

"We're here," Toby announced as you came upon a clearing. The huge willow trees around you parted in such a way that made the sunset visible. A large boulder wide enough to seat two was draped in a red quilt. Red and white candles of all shapes and sizes laced the grass around the rock.

"Oh. My. Goodness," you gasped.

"Y- you like it?" Toby twitched, stammering nervously.

"It's beautiful," you grinned. To your suprise, and pleasure, Toby took up your hand again, gripping your fingers, and led you to the stone. The candle flames danced gleefully in the breeze and silver flecks in the stone mirrored their light.

"You aren't cold, are you?" Toby asked as the two of you sat down on the quilted earthen seat.

"I'm okay," you replied breathlessly. The sun was dipping lower in the trees and it's blazing face was nearly kissing the skyline. Toby slowly folded his fingers between yours, sending a shiver down your spine. You prayed the Toby hadn't noticed, but if he did, he never said anything.

"(Y/N)?" Toby called quietly.

"Yeah?" You answered, fighting to keep your voice steady.

"Why aren't you afraid of me?"

Taken aback by his question, you replied, "I don't understand. Why would I be?"

"Well, the first time we met, I was trying to kill you," He sighed.

"You were doing your job."

"Don't," He twitched, "Don't call it that. I don't have to. No one makes me. I want to. I- I like to."

"Then, why didn't you kill me?"

"I don't know."

"It would have been easy," you whispered. "I wouldn't have put up much of a fight. I like to think I'm tough, but I wouldn't have done much damage. Besides, I didn't have anything to lose."

"Didn't," Toby echoed.

"Didn't what?"

"You said 'didn't have anything to lose'," He noted. "Does that mean you do know? Have something to lose?"

"Well, yeah," you shrugged. "I guess I do."

"What would that be?"

"Now I have you guys. BEN, Masky, Hoodie, even Jeff. And you...," you trailed off.

"(Y/N)," Toby said quietly.

"I would have taken my own life," you continued, ignoring him. "I thought about it the night you showed up. My mother wouldn't miss me, my father and brother are dead. Who would care?" Your voice trembled and cracked as you spoke. You'd never told anyone this. You didn't have anyone to tell until now. You felt him squeeze your fingers gently before dropping them and grabbing you by your shoulders, forcing you to face him.

"(Y/N), stop. I can't bare the thought of that. I care about you. A lot. We all do. I speak for everyone when I say that we'd be lost without you."

"Toby, I-"

But you didn't finish your sentence. Toby had leaned in and kissed you as the sun drowned in the earth and the moon replaced it as the light of the world.

So so sorry about how freaking late this is! I just moved across the country from Southern California on last Friday and since we drove, that took four days. Granted I could have at least written something, but long car rides mess me up. But now I'm settled in, unpacked, and more importantly, connected to wifi! As for my excuse for before last Friday, I don't have a good one. I really will try to update a little more frequently. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and thanks for being patient with me!