Chapter 1

The wind howled wildly as you made your way home from the library. You'd checked out three new book with the intent of finishing them in next couple of days. When you arrived home, you were relieved to find that your mother wouldn't be home until late. She worked night shifts at the clinic on Thursdays so you had the house to yourself.

Your stomach growled loudly so you adventured into the kitchen, rummaging through the pantry and cabinets for something quick to make. Finding only a box of frozen waffles, you popped them into the toaster and plopped down on the love seat that faces the television.

"Nope, nope, nope," you sighed as you flipped through the channels. You settled for a cliche horror movie and retrieved your waffles, finally settling down to eat after drenching them in syrup.

Rain had began pounding the windows of your small two story house, the shudders banging against the walls outside. You sighed and turned the volume up. You watched intently as the woman in your movie crept into the kitchen clutching a wire hanger.

You merely scoffed as the killer chopped her head off with an ax.

"And that," you laughed to yourself, "is why you keep a shotgun handy."

When the movie was over, you clicked the television off and sat in the darkness. You had never been afraid of the dark, nor being alone, even when you were a child. You found it relaxing and used as an escape from the stress of living.

The wind picked up and the rain beat the walls relentlessly. You let the sound of the raging storm put you to sleep (as it had always managed to do) until you heard the shattering of glass.

You jumped to your feet and scrambled for the light switch, flicking it on with no result.

Damn, you cursed under your breath, power's out.

You blindly tip toed up the stairs to the source of the crash, following the sound of curtains whipping wildly in the wind. You took a step and yelped as your foot pressed against broken glass. You cursed as you pulled the pieces from your heel and limped past the shattered window, searching for what may have broken it.

A few feet away from the window on the floor lie a small object that reflected the lightning from outside. You picked it up gingerly and turned it in your hands.

It was a hatchet with a bright orange handle.

You held the instrument close to your face, inspecting it carefully. You gasped as you noticed dried blood caked in the crevasses of the handle. Glass crackled behind you and you froze, preparing to use the hatchet as a weapon.

The sound of footsteps on broken glass drew closer and closer until you felt breath on your neck.

"I'll be taking that back now," a man's voice whispered and easily plucked the hatchet from your desperate grasp.

You heard his footsteps retract from you and you whirled around, gritting your teeth as glass shards buried themselves in your bare feet.

In front of you, silhouetted by flashes of lightning, stood a tall boy, probably around your age. He was dressed in a brown sweatshirt with striped sleeves and a blue hood that was pulled up over his wild brown hair. Orange goggles flashed as they reflected your terrified face back to you. A black face guard with gray bars over the mouth hid his features.

"W- What do you want?" You stammered.

The boy shoved two hatchets, one bright orange and the other wooden and rusted, into holsters that were strapped around his waist. He didn't speak, just tilted his head curiously. He took a step towards you and you took one back, biting your lip so you didn't cry out as glass embedded itself deeper into your foot.

He looked down and noticed the bloody footprints you left behind and he pulled his mask down, letting it come to rest around his neck. The left side of his cheek was badly scared so that it showed his teeth. The other side of his mouth was turned down in a frown.

"S- stay back," you whimpered as he continued to stride forward. He ignored your plea and pushed your shoulder against the wall, forcing you to the ground. There was something in the way he gently touched your shoulder that told you he meant no harm.

"Stay," He commanded in a raspy voice and disappeared downstairs. You took slow breaths to calm yourself down as he returned with tweezers, a wet towel, and bandages.

You winced as he took your foot and began gently extracting the glass shards from the bottoms of your feet. He finished with the first one, bandaged it, and moved on to the next one. As you watched him work, you noticed him twitching every once in a while. A sharp pain tore through your heel and you cried out as he pulled out a large piece.

The stranger frowned apologetically but did not speak. When he had finished removing all the shards and had bandaged you up, he held out a gloved hand to help you up. The fingers of his gloves were cut off and the little exposed skin he had felt cool.

You winced at the pressure on your sore feet but it wasn't nearly as bad now that the glass was out.

"Thank you," you said quietly, dropping his hand. He nodded and lept onto the sill of the shattered window, pulling his mask back up over his scarred mouth. He cast one more look at you over his shoulder before jumping into the storm. You dashed for you sneakers and a jacket and ran into your backyard as you watched the mysterious boy disappear into the woods.