Chapter 17

WARNING: This chapter is NOT proof read, I'm too lazy. xD  I wish you the best of luck in deciphering whatever mistakes I've made!

"Are you sure this will work?" BEN asked Jane as he followed after her through the woods.

"There is no way I can be positive," she shrugged, "but hopefully."

"We've got to try something," Toby spat impatiently and stormed ahead of the group despite the fact the Jane was the only one who knew where they were going. Smile.dog darted ahead and fell into step behind him, his big red and black head hung low to the ground as he sniffed.

"I believe that if we can get this guy's name, we can find his friends," Jane stated, casting a weary look towards the hunched over figure of Toby. "They may help us locate his hideout."

"What are you gonna do, threaten to kiss them?" BEN snorted.

"It would surely make me rat you guys out," Jeff growled and shoved his hands in his hoodie.

"How flattering," Jane said with a sickly sweet smile.

Jeff was very unhappy to be working with Jane and she with him, but they both seemed to be making an effort to behave for Toby and (Y/N). Though Jane didn't know (Y/N) very well, she put all her effort into finding her, mostly for Toby. He'd been a wreak since she'd disappeared. Jane recalled the first time she met (Y/N) and saw the way that Toby looked at her; the wonder in his eyes. She loved seeing Toby so happy and it pained her to see him without that look.

"So what exactly is your plan then?" BEN asked.

Jane paused for a moment before answering, "The Rake owes me a favor. We can see what he knows and what he doesn't. If what he knows isn't helpful, we can send him out to bring back something that is."

"What makes you think that creep will cooperate?" Jeff scoffed.

"Let's just say he owes me quite the favor. He wouldn't dare flake on me," Jane shrugged.

"How much farther?" Toby called from ahead.

"Take a left when you reach that snarled tree stump and keep going until you see a large metal tunnel in the side of a hill. You can't miss it, but wait for me at the door. If he sees you, odds are he'll run," Jane shouted back. She watched Toby stalk off wistfully and frowned.

"You think he'll be okay?"  BEN sighed.

"I hope so," Jane replied.

"He'll be fine," EJ stated firmly, "We just have to find (Y/N) and he'll be fine."

"But what if she's...," Jeff began, but BEN cut him off.

"She's fine," he snapped. "We're going to find her and she's going to be okay, got it?"

Everyone was as on edge as they could be. They were all concerned about (Y/N) for their own reasons, each one different from the next. The way that BEN missed (Y/N) was different from the way Toby did or the way EJ did. Even Jeff was upset and worried about her. As much as some of them didn't want to admit it, (Y/N) was apart of the family now and there was no way they were going to leave her behind. Ever.

The four solemn pastas went about the rest of the walk in silence. The sun was beginning to set and bright orange and pink lights streaked across the sky like colorful flames. Toby almost wanted to stop and admire it, but he was too worried to stop moving. He'd been twitching more uncontrollably and he felt more tense with every jerking movement. They arrived at the mouth of a dark grey tunnel and BEN peered inside. 

It was too dark to see the end of the tunnel, if there even was one to be seen, and it reeked of years of rust and rain. A familiar metallic scent wafted from the gaping mouth of the pipe. Blood. Jane cupped her hands around her mouth and shouted, "Broken Bones!"

"The heck is that supposed to mean?" Jeff scoffed.

"It's the password," Jane snapped.

"Yessssssssss," a hoarse voice whispered from the dark, "It's the passsssssssword."

"Ominous," BEN shrugged.

"I need that favor," Jane said as she approached the direction from which she'd heard disembodied voice.

"What issss it?" The Rake asked and slowly crept out of the dark, damp tunnel and into the light of the setting sun. He was pale with big, black eye and sharp, needle-like teeth. He was crouched on all fours by the edge of the tunnel, his thin, skeletal limbs positioned in uncomfortable looking ways.

"We're looking for someone who's planning to overthrow Zaglo," Jane muttered.

"Well, there is quite the lissst of thosse," The Rake hissed gleefully. 

"Someone who's acted recently, within the last two days. They would be looking for someone called 'The One'," Jane offered.

"That narrows it down now, yesssss."

"Well then, who is it?"

"Why ssshould I tell you?"

"You owe me! I haven't forgotten and I know you haven't either. Give us their name and we'll go," Jane pleaded.

The Rake hissed something under his breath before whispering, "His name in The Skin Taker. That'sss who you're looking for, yessss."

"Thank you," Jane sighed.

"What doesss you want him for anyway? Why go looking for a guy like him?" The Rake inquired curiously as the group turned to leave.

"He took something of mine-," Toby began.

"Of ours," BEN interjected .

"Ours...," Toby continued, "and we want her back."

"Her?" The Rake grinned mischievously.

"Don't say anything else Toby," Jane warned. "We can't trust him."

"Well that isssn't fair, now isss it?" The pale creature pouted.

Jane grabbed Toby by the twitching arm and dragged him away from the cackling creature, leading him and the rest of the group back to the mansion. Jane cast a worried look over her shoulder back at the tunnel as the sounds of The Rake repeating "Her, hmmm? Her?" died away.

An strange tapping noise came from the door to your left. You were tied to a surgical table, but your head was left unstrapped so you could take in your surroundings. Dr. Smiley strode over to the door, opened it, and let someone inside. Your breath caught in your throat as you realized that the visitor was not a someone, but a something.

"They know, yesss they do," the thin, pale creature hissed. 

"Did you tell them what you know?" Dr. Smiley inquired.

"Of coursssse," it grinned, revealing a mouth full of sharp teeth.

"Good," Dr. Smiley grinned, "Everything is going according to plan."