Chapter 24

Shadows, dark creepers, unlit paths. He was there, then here, creeping closely behind without being noticed as Pain and Konan made their way out into a field of moonlight. Light footsteps and making as little noise as he can as he approached the couple. Out in an instant, a kunai was thrown at Sasuke, forcing him to show himself. Pain turned to him, looking at him with an emotionless face, and watched as Sasuke stood there with a kunai in hand. He calmly looked at them, eyes hovering to where Naruto hung in the Akatsuki leader's hand. Trying hard not to let any emotion take over, Sasuke walked towards them.

"Hold it." Konan commanded, stepping in front of her leader. Sasuke ignored her and continued to pursue them, making eye contact the entire time. Pain didn't flinch from the intense stare as he kept his eyes on the teen.

"What is it that you wish, Sasuke? I can give you anything if you only rejoin my clan." Pain said calmly, not expressing any emotions.

Sasuke clenched onto the kunai in his hand and stopped a few yards away. A small breeze created the mood, making a whooshing sound with grass and dirt fly in circles in the air.

"Want this?" Pain lifted Naruto a bit as if about to hand the boy to Sasuke. Taking a step to take him back, Sasuke stood there in a surprised shock as Pain swiftly threw Naruto's unconscious body to the side, waking Naruto up with a cry of pain.

"Naruto!" Sasuke exclaimed, accidentally letting down his guard as Konan attacked him head on with her whips. Not able to take a step towards Naruto, Sasuke fought back as hard as he could, trying not to let fatigue overtake him as blood trickled from his wounds.

"I can't believe you liked a Jinchuuriki." Pain said as he watched them in battle. "And especially a boy."

"What does it matter to you?" Sasuke growled as he grabbed hold of Konan's wrist and twisted it until she let go of her weapon. She gave out a cry as she desperately tried to pull away, but Sasuke wouldn't budge. Then with light steps, Konan flipped herself, untwisting her hand and kicking Sasuke by the side of his stomach, but he was ready. He blocked her attack and countered it by kicking her instead, sending her tumbling a few feet away.

Pain never faltered a step at all as his partner laid beside his feet, groaning in pain. He didn't bend down to help her or ask her if she was alright, but instead, he stood there, glaring at Sasuke.

"You're pretty well trained, Sasuke." Pain said as he stepped away from Konan, a smirk clawing its way to his lips.

"Heh, I learn from the best." Sasuke smirked as he charged in for an attack.

Naruto groaned in pain as his foot throbbed, as well as his body. Through blurry eyes, he could spot Pain fighting someone with dark hair. He was a pretty good fighter and to his surprise, Konan was lying on the ground. Naruto slowly got up, trying not to lean on his twisted foot too much as he pulled out his kunai. He stood there, ready to fight Pain when Sasuke popped into his mind. Sasuke. How could he forget about his friend, his hero, his....love.

Emotions filled his insides as he collapsed on his knees, realizing what it all meant. He was in love with Sasuke. Then noticing the black hair, Naruto squint his eyes, but soon everything became really dizzy and hazy as he fell back to the ground, helpless. What was wrong with him? Why wasn't he strong enough to help Sasuke? Why?

Evil laughter filled his ears, making him turn his blonde head to the right and spotted Kakuzu. Whips like snakes stood up in the air, wiggling here and there, ready to attack with their sharp edges as Kakuzu kept his eyes on the dark hair guy.

"Sasuke." Naruto mumbled, trying to get it all together. Who was the man with the whips? Was he there to help? Naruto shook his head as panic overcame him. Where was Sasuke? Was he safe?