Chapter 16

"I'm sorry, Naruto."

"Sasuke? Heh? Why are you apologizing?" Scenes of the Akatsuki members attacking rushed in, making Naruto cringe. "Where are you? Sasuke?" Sasuke looked at him with sadness in his eyes, turned, and he walked away as a pair of arms held Naruto in place. "TEME, DON'T LEAVE ME! DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU LIKE ME!? SASUKE!!!!"

Naruto abruptly opened his eyes, sucking in a bunch of oxygen as sweat trickled down his forehead. Sasuke...where was Sasuke? He sat up and adjusted his surroundings. He was back in his room. So was it a dream?

"Oi oi, stay still for once will you? That bandage on your neck will fall off, that cast too." Naruto looked toward his left towards his door and saw Sakura walk in, Hinata close behind with lunch.

"Hey Sakura chan. Hinata chan. What are you two doing here?" Naruto greeted confusingly.

"N-naruto kun...h-here's lunch." Hinata blushed and gently laid the lunch on Naruto's lap.

"Oh uh thanks." stuffing the sandwich into his mouth, Naruto noticed his stomach growled hungrily. "So *munching* what are you guys *munching* doing he-"

Sakura smacks him in the back of his head. "Thanks to someone, we had to end up fighting against the Akatsukis again."

Memories suddenly flooded his mind, making him drop his sandwich. So it wasn't a dream. Naruto thought. Fear crept into him as his body shook violently. Where was Sasuke? Did Sasuke abandon him so he could get killed? Was it all an act?

"N-Naruto kun?" Hinata called out nervously.

Naruto heard nothing as the cold metal of the kunai pressed against his neck, feeling some of his blood trickle down his neck. Tears filled his eyes. So it was true? Sasuke left him to die? But what about their feelings? Was it fake as well?

"No...it can't be..." Naruto murmured to himself.

"Naruto?" Sakura said, placing a hand on her best friend's shoulder. "Oi, what's wrong? Are you okay? Naruto!" she shook Naruto, but only to receive no answer. Then she did what came first into mind.

Naruto's eyes widen as Sakura's hand gave him a cold slap, a stinging pain to his left cheek. It redden quickly, leaving Naruto in slight shock.

"S-sakura chan!" Hinata exclaimed.

Sakura ignored her and angrily glared at Naruto. "Get a hold of yourself, Naruto! I don't know what you're thinking, but he's probably playing around with you. When we came to get you, he was nowhere to be seen and all we saw was you struggling in that man's arms. You've got to man up and think about it, Naruto. He's not what you think he is."

Naruto's lips trembled as if he was about to cry again, but he held it in. Sakura's right. Naruto thought. He's already done this twice to me already. he then wiped his wet cheeks dry with his arm. Then another thing flashed into his mind.

"Piyo!" Naruto turned to Sakura. "Where is he?"

"Eh? What are you talk-"

"The puppy!"

"Oh." Sakura bent down and picked up a spotted puppy. "You mean him?" Sakura handed Piyo to Naruto and watched as Naruto hugged the puppy closely.

"At least you're safe." Naruto whispered, receiving small wet licks from Piyo.

"Now that you're here, mind telling us what happened?" Sakura asked, hands on her hips.

"Sakura chan!" Hinata exclaimed. "You shouldn't be asking an injured person questions like that!"