Chapter 26

The sound of warfare was strong in the air: gunshots, screams of agony, orders being barked out. Together, Chuck and I ran in, taking cover behind a bullet-swarmed truck. Alex ran into the encampment along with Sarah and three others.

"Alright, get to the armory as fast as possible!" Chuck ordered, looking over the side of the truck. He fired over and over until the bullets started coming back at him. The military truck backed up into the wall, and a man in an army suit fired the machine gun at the people on the other side of the car.

"They are running out of soldiers!" The man behind the machine gun screamed.

"Go! Now!" Chuck screamed, running around the side of the truck. I followed close behind him, gagging at the smell of death coming to life. Corpses filled the yard. Bullets rained down on us from the building tops. I looked up at the soldiers who were now falling off the side as the machine gunner shot them down. Chuck ran into a small alleyway, breaking a wooden door down. He took cover behind the wall as bullets sprayed into the wall of the building.

"You won't be taking the weapons!" The man screamed. I looked at Chuck, who now had a grenade in his hand. He pulled the pin, rolling the grenade into the doorway. "Grenade!" The impact rumbled my insides as the wall cracked at the explosion.

"Move!" Chuck screamed, running into the room. I followed after him, smoke from the grenade burning my eyes.

"Grab everything you can hold! We need to get out of here as fast as possible!" Chuck ordered. The room was filled with pill boxes and ammunition. The man behind the machine gun was now dead on the floor.

"Sarah. Grab the machine gun." Alex said, stuffing his bag full of rifle ammunition.

"On it," Sarah replied, dismantling the M60 from its prop.

"How did you...?"

"Axel, it's been two weeks since we have seen each other... A lot has happened... I'm not the same woman you married." Sarah interrupted, walking over to the door. She peeked out of the doorway, ensuring no one was atop the building. "We are clear."

"Let's move!" Chuck said; all was quiet outside the small compartment except for footsteps. Chuck went out, along with Sarah, leaving Alex and me in the house.

"You know, we all are in a war... We aren't fighting these people because we want to. We are fighting because we need to." Alex justified.

"We all need something; it's just a matter of how far you are willing to go to get it," I responded, walking out of the armory. Stepping out into the main area, I found several groups of people on their knees with my men around them. I noticed Tyson and Jack on the ground. "Hey! They are fine!" I said, walking over to the group of men around them. More gunshots echoed through the air on the outside.

"We are holding them until we leave." The man said.

"You people are sick," Jack said, looking up at me. Then, a familiar voice appeared behind me.

"Axel? What is going on?" Taylor asked. I turned and saw her walking towards me. Instantly, two men aimed their weapons at her, starting towards her.

"Woah! Hey, no! Back down!" I ordered in a powerful voice. The two men backed off as she came directly up to me.

"What are you doing?..." She asked, looking me directly in the eyes.

"We are leaving... This place is not going to last..." I said, looking off into the distance.

"Yeah, not anymore... You killed off every soldier in the area... What do you expect?" She asked.

"Axel, we need to leave. The walkers will be gathering soon." Chuck said, leading ten of our men outside of the encampment.

"Look... We need to get to Maine... The lab that everyone said was closed off is still open... And my biological father is running it... Come with us..." I explained.

"No... Axel... I'm done going through life with the fear of an abruption with you... I'm sick of living life turning my back on the people that need us." Taylor explained, turning her back on me. She walked back down the street, leaving me to turn to Jack.

"No, we are all staying here. This is where we belong now. We will rebuild this place, make it our home... Sorry." Jack said, looking at Michael. His body shuddering from the pain of his wounds.

"Alright. Well, you folks have a good life... Thank you so much for taking us in. Be sure to take care of Taylor for me?" I asked, a tear forming in my eye.

"Will do. We protect our own. We won't let anything happen to her." Jack said.

"Alright, goodbye. You know where to find us if things go bad here." I said, walking away.

"Hey, Axel," Jack said; I turned towards him. "Don't let your circumstances dictate who you are. You can still change your ways." I stood there, staring at him, letting his words sink in. Turning around, I walked out of the gate and into a war zone.

"Let's go, Axel!" Alex screamed, shooting a walker in the head with his crossbow. He ran over, ripping the arrow from the corpse and loading another into the weapon. I ran over and hopped into the van, leaving only Alex on the road.

"Let's go!" Chuck screamed, honking the horn. Alex shoved the Walker closest to him into the dirt and ran over. Then gunshots echoed through the air, and the glass of the side window shattered. I looked through the opening at the woman who ran the camp, her hand wrapped around a pistol. Her nose was clogged with blood.

"Go! Go! Go!" Alex screamed, slamming the door. Chuck pulled out with the screeching of tires. Bullets "tinged" against the back door. I turned to find that the woman had taken the jeep and was approaching quickly.

"Give me the M60!" I ordered, climbing into the back. The large gun was passed back till I had my grasp on it. I shattered the back window out, aiming the barrel through the opening. I locked my sights on the tire, pulling the trigger once. The bullet instantly popped the tire, forcing the vehicle into the air. It flipped twice before sliding against the ground on its head, leaving the wheels in the air.

"Oh... Jeez..." Chuck said, looking through the mirror at the mess. I didn't say a word as I stated at the destroyed car.

This is survival of the fittest. Living isn't necessary anymore; survival is.