Chapter 24

With my back against the wall, I began to try to think of a way out of fighting Michael. I knew that I would win, given the circumstances.

"Let's go boys! The loser wins a bullet to the head!" Derrick said, snickering as he pulled a bottle of whiskey from his coat pocket.

"This is insane! We don't want to."

"Shut your mouth, asshole!" Derrick interrupted Jack. Michael was bleeding badly. He limped towards me, fists raised.

"Michael... I-" I started but was interrupted by a blow to the face. Michael's fist went straight into my nose, returning my head to the semi's top. I hit my head on the metal, trying to regain focus, when another blow to the face took me to the ground. I tried to stand to my feet, only to be brought down once again by his wretched fists. I felt the warm liquid seeping through my nose as he punched me again and again.

"Holy shit! That's enough!!" I heard Derrick say, climbing down from the semi to pull Michael off me. His voice echoed in my head as he lifted me off the ground and spat in my face. "You are dog shit. You can't fight." He dragged my body off to the side, considering I was mentally not there, and left me. "Alright! Caleb and Jack!" Jack looked at me with anger in his eyes. He turned to Caleb and said.

"I'm sorry, it's survival of the fittest..."

"Yeah... It is. That's why I'm leaving alive..." Caleb responded, raising his fists. I watched as Jack raised his fists also. They both charged at each other, pressing their bodies against each other. Jack pushed Caleb to the ground, instantly getting on top of him. He began to beat Caleb down. Just before Caleb was out, he managed to get a punch in, knocking Jack off of him. Caleb got to his feet, instantly kicking Jack in the face. Jack fell to the ground, out cold.

"Wow! Nice job, Caleb!" Derrick said, climbing back down and pulling Jack's body over to the side. He handcuffed Jack, turning to me and pulling another pair out. I tried to scramble to my feet, only to find myself down on the ground by a blow to the face. Before I knew it, I was handcuffed and on my knees with a gun to my head. "Hey, Caleb! Come do the honors!"

"I... I can't do that." Caleb said, backing away with his hands raised.

"No, you don't have a choice. Get your ass over here and do it!" He screamed, aiming the pistol at Caleb.

"Alright... Take it easy... I'm coming." Caleb said, taking the pistol. He cocked it, putting it straight to my head, hands shaking. I closed my eyes and awaited complete death.

"I suggest you put that gun down." A familiar voice said. I turned to where the voice was coming from and found Chuck, a 12 gauge in his hands and a large van behind him.

"Well, look who wanted to join the party!" Derrick said, looking back to Philip, who was still sitting in the truck with the rest of the group. My heart raced when I realized he was my savior.

"I suggest you let them go..." He said, sauntering towards Derrick.

"Or what?" Derrick said, grabbing for his pistol, realizing that Caleb had it.

"Or I'll have my men shoot you... We have been watching for hours, and what you are doing here is just sick." Chuck said, now standing directly in front of Derrick.

"Who are you to judge my line of work?" Derrick asked, shoving Chuck backward. Chuck swung the back of the shotgun like a baseball bat and hit Derrick upside the head with it, sending him to the ground.

"When you mess with my family, I can judge you!" Chuck screamed, pointing the shotgun at the group on the truck, who now had their weapons readied.

"Hey, Chuck!" A woman said, coming out of the van. I looked over, and my heart rate burst. Her beautiful brown eyes and brown hair, like on our wedding day, except better. She looked directly at me, her jaw-dropping. It felt like a scene in a movie. "Holy... Oh my god... Axel?!?" Sarah screamed, running over to me. I was slightly embarrassed because I had blood all down my face.

"Sarah! Baby! I missed you so much!" I screamed, scrambling to my feet. She embraced me so hard that I fell to the ground on top of my hands. It hurt so much, but it was worth it. She kissed my face over and over again despite all the blood.

"I thought I would never see you again!" She managed to say in between kisses.

"I know... I thought the same thing..." I said, kissing her back.

"I love you, Axel..." She said, looking directly into my eyes.

"I love you too, Sarah..." I said, kissing her again.

"Get them out of handcuffs, and we will take you back to where you belong," Chuck ordered. Sarah got off of me, un-cuffed Jack and me, and cuffed the five of them. I took a pistol off of David and slipped it into my pocket. We took them to the van, leaving Sarah and me to drive the jeep back. Sarah got into the passenger seat, and I went.

"Axel, I am sorry about leaving you..." Sarah said, taking my hand in hers.

"You did what you had to do... I would have told you to leave with the men if they would have killed you." I said.

"I still feel bad. I tried to stop them, but they restrained me." She said.

"How did you get out of the blown-up vehicle?" I asked, glancing at her now and then.

"I was helped... There was another man in the vehicle who had managed to get himself out of the handcuffs. He helped me, and we got out together." Sarah explained.

"Oh, well, I must take him out for dinner," I said jokingly.

"He... He didn't make it... The walkers got ahold of him..." Sarah said. We followed close behind the van as it pulled to the side of the empty road and stopped.

"Stay here. I'll see what's going down." I said, getting out and walking to the side where Chuck hopped out of the driver's seat. I could hear screaming and yelling in the back of the van.

"We have a problem." He said with a long sigh.

"What's wrong?" I asked, glancing towards the screaming now and then.

"He is threatening to tell whoever the leader of this encampment that we beat him down and that we will need to leave... That's including the group that was fighting with you earlier. I didn't know what to do, so I walked to the side, opened the door, got into the back of the van, dragged Derrick out, and threw him out of the side of the truck onto the concrete.

"You are all gonna be," he began but was interrupted by my boot going into his head.

"Shut up!" I screamed, getting down next to him and grabbing his shirt collar. I raised my fist and began to beat him into the ground, sending blood flying through the air and onto the concrete.

"Axel!" Sarah screamed. I looked over at her terrified face. I paused for a moment to look at her. She saw me as a monster... But I was only trying to defend her from these guys. "Stop..." She said, her voice quivering as she became even more upset. I turned back to him as he started to chuckle.

"Whatcha going to do now? You going to cry about it?" He said sarcastically, laughing. I grabbed his shoulder and dragged his body off the side of the road and into the woods. "What are you doing?" He asked. I ignored him and continued up the hill. I got to a large stump where I pressed his body against it, took another pair of handcuffs out of the side of my backpack, and cuffed his legs together. He laughed, "That's the best you got? Cuff me next to this tree? I'll get back to the camp before sundown!" I started to walk away when I heard the growling of a walker down the way. I smirked at how ironic this was. I turned around, pulled the pistol from my pocket, pointed it into the air, and shot five shots, sending echoes through the air. For a moment, there was a pause.

"Have fun running from the walkers," I said, turning away as a walker approached him. He turned and stood up, hurrying away as fast as he could.

"Axel! Don't do it!" He screamed, trying to reach me. He fell along a branch, and I didn't look back to see the gorefest. I walked back to the jeep, hearing screams all along the way.

"Let's go," I said, hopping into the jeep as Sarah sat silent. Before we reached the gate of Stratford, she murmured.

"You are not the same man I thought you were... You are a monster..."