Chapter 3

We took him to the west wing doors, where a doctor waited. He looked at me and then at my brother.

"Sorry, sir, we don't accept people here; the west wing is closed." He said.

"He's bitten; we need to get him medical help," Sarah explained. The doctor thought for a moment.

"I'll take him back, stay here, and wait until we figure this out." He told us, putting my brother's arm and helping him into the wheelchair next to the door. The doctor wheeled him into the doors, leaving us to look into the small square windows on the doors. He went around the corner, and within seconds, he returned with my brother; he was sprinting. We opened the doors.

"What's wrong?!?" I asked.

"They are coming! They are coming!" He screamed, running through the doors. I looked into the hallway as a massive group of people sprinted around the corner, screeching.

"Shut the damn doors!" The doctor screamed, trying to catch his breath. We shut the doors. "Are you stupid?!? We need to run!!!" He stood up and started wheeling my brother to the elevator.

"Hey! Where are you taking him?" I called.

"Somewhere where he won't die!" The doctor screamed back, pushing the down button on the elevator. The people in the west wing slammed into the door, knocking Sarah and me into the wall. The door frame creaked under the pressure of the hundreds of people pressing against it; the bolt holding the door began to bend under the weight. I looked over at Dylan, who had a defeated expression on his pale, sweaty face.

"Meet me on the second floor!" The doctor said. We ran to the stairs. I looked back at the door once more. The door busted open, and it looked like thousands of crazy people ran out; they were coming towards us. I shut the metal door and locked it.

"Run!" I screamed, flying down the cement stairs. The echo of the door slamming open was very loud. The screeches were more deafening; the footsteps were even more audible. We ran to the second floor and tried to open the door, locked.

"What are we going to do?!?" Dylan screamed.

"Stay calm!" I screamed back, taking off my black overcoat. I backed up and lunged at the door, slamming into it, nothing. The footsteps got louder and louder. I backed up and tried again; this time, the door flew off the hinges. It slammed on the carpeted floor as well as I did.

"Run!" Sarah screamed, running down to the elevator. I got up and followed behind Dylan. The elevator dinged, and it opened to a man in a police outfit on top of a doctor, eating his insides. Blood was all over the ground, wall, and wheelchair. Tears came to my eyes.

No. I started to walk towards what was once my brother, as a hand pressed against my chest, holding me back. Looking over, I noticed it was Dylan.

"Don't do that; we need to go!" He said. The police officer that was once my brother looked up at me, his lifeless eyes glaring in the elevator light; he screeched and started to charge at me. Dylan tackled it into the corner of the elevator door, and he held it there. The elevator began to close; it crunched down on his feet, leaving him to hang. A nurse screamed down the hallway as the massive group of crazies ran through the stairwell exit; a group of them tackled her. The others were going into the rooms, and three of them came for us. We started to the stairs leading to the main lobby; I closed the door and sprinted down the stairs. We opened the door to the main hall; the large crowd at the front of the hospital had grown more prominent as they bombarded us with questions.

"What's it like up there?!?" A man asked.

"Where's my daughter?" An older woman pleaded.

"Step back!" Said a police officer, getting in front of us.

"Get out of the hospital unless you want to die!" I screamed. The room got quiet as everyone looked at me.

"You get bit, you die!" I screamed. The three crazies came through the door screeching; one lunged at me, I dodged it, and it tackled the police officer.

"Get it off!" He screamed. I tried to get through the crowd as they tried to help him.

"Axel?" Sarah called.

"Come on!" I screamed to her and Dylan. They followed my path, and we got out. Just then, a military truck drove up to the sidewalk and stopped. Ten military men jumped out of the back with giant guns. One of the men saw us and aimed his weapon.

"Fire!" He screamed, pulling the trigger.

"Run!" I screamed, running towards the suburban. Dylan was behind us.

"What the hell are they doing?!?" He screamed. I got to the suburban, and the back window shattered. Bullets whizzed past my ears. I ran to the driver's seat and jumped in. Dylan stepped onto the passenger step of the SUV, letting out a crying scream.
"Ahhhh!" I tried to grab his hand as he gripped his now bloody arm. He fell onto the door and was shot again in the chest three more times. He fell onto the ground and lay still. Sarah got into the back seat, and I pushed the accelerator as hard as possible.

"What are you doing?!?" She screamed at me. I didn't answer her, turning the corner to go back to my factory. She grabbed my shoulder, and I winced in pain. I shoved her arm back and turned around to look at her. She slammed into the seat.

"Sit back and shut the hell up!" I screamed at her.

"Look out!" She screamed, pointing at a broken car in the middle of the road. I turned my head and slammed into the steering wheel. The vehicle spun in a circle and then hit the curb. It tipped onto its side and then rolled twice. It skidded to a stop in the middle of the road on the other side of the broken-up car. That's where I fell asleep in exhaustion.