Chapter 14

I woke to the sound of screaming in the central part of the factory.

"Please! Stop it!" A woman screamed. I stood up and walked towards the door.

"Quiet! We don't want to hurt you any more than we already are!" A man said, chuckling. I looked out of the small window on the door to my office at two men with black masks covering their faces. They were holding a woman down as they started to slide her pants off.

"Oh no..." I murmured under my breath as I ran over to my chair, grabbed the fire axe, and ran back to the door. I took a deep breath and opened the door, running down the stairs. "Hey! Get off of her!" They both looked at me, dropped her, and ran off down the street. The woman lay on the hard, cold floor as she cried. I walked over to her and put my hand on her shoulder. "Are you okay, ma'am?" She sniffled and looked up at me, her messy red hair covering one of her crystal blue eyes.

"Thank you so much... They- they were going to..." She said.

"I know," I said, putting out my hand to help her up.

"Here." She said, pulling a Hershey's chocolate bar from her pocket. "It's for saving me." I smiled and looked into her eyes.

"You need that more than I do; I have a truck on the outside of town if you want to come with me," I said, walking up the stairs; she followed.

"Do you have enough room?" She asked, sliding the chocolate back into her pocket. I walked over to my black chair, slipped my backpack on, and picked up my gun.

"Of course we do. It's a large military truck." I said, looking at her. Her expression was vivid, and it was obvious that she was nervous. "What's wrong?"

"You have a gun... I hate guns..." She said.

"How old are you...?" I asked.

"Seventeen," she said, backing away, still staring at the black gun.

"Where are your parents?" I asked her.

"My dad was shot on his way to work by a carjacker... My mom died of one of those... Things outside..." She said, her eyes welling up with tears; she folded her arms in security of herself.

"Oh... I'm sorry..." I said, looking towards the floor.

"Can't change it, but I can't stand guns." She said.

"They are the only thing that keeps us alive..." I explained.

"They are also the thing that invites us to death most of the time..." She said, walking out of the room. I didn't know what to say; I stared out of the empty door as her footsteps became faint.

"Wait!" I said, walking out of the office to follow her. She was out on the sidewalk when I left the factory. "Wait." She stopped and turned to me; tears flowed from her face.

"What..." She asked. I walked over to her and wiped the tears away softly.

"I'm gonna protect you.." I said, smiling reassuringly.

"Do you promise...?" She asked, staring back into my eyes.

"I promise..." I said, hugging her. She embraced me and stepped back. A gunshot echoed in the distance as birds flew overhead. I looked out upon the large city. "Come on, we gotta move," I said, running along the sidewalk.

"Where are we going?" She asked, following me.

"We are going to the police station! My wife's there." I said.

"My name is Joy!" She said, running after me.

"Axel!" I said back. I turned the corner and ran into someone who knocked me backward.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here! It's the duchebag who stopped my moment with the pretty redhead." The man said, slapping a bat against his hand. I stood up quickly and backed away.

"Step off, I will kill you," I said, aiming the gun at him. Just then, joy turned the corner, and the man smiled his evil smile.

"I see I get my chance." He said, charging at her. I hit the man with the butt of the gun, knocking him into the wall; I ran over to him, put the gun up under his neck, and choked him.

"You won't touch her," I growled.

"Axel! Look out!" Joy said, pointing to the other man. I looked over at him when he hit me in the stomach with his bat. I dropped to the blacktop, dropping the gun. The other man kicked me in the head, as I fell to the ground.

"Run!" I screamed with joy. She started down the road as the man who hit me with the bat ran after her. I grabbed the gun and attempted to shoot him but was stopped by the other man, who kicked the weapon from my hands.

"Not so fast." He said, picking up his bat. I stood to my feet and put my fists up. He charged at me, swinging the bat; I dodged it and punched him in the jaw. He fell backward, dropping the bat and rolling on the blacktop. I quickly picked up the gun and aimed down my sights. I shot the man in the back as Joy kept running. The man fell to the sidewalk, lifeless. "God damn you!" The other man screamed, tackling me to the blacktop. I dropped the gun once again as he punched me continually. Just then, a walker grabbed his shoulder and bit into him, squirting blood all over my face. He screamed and fell off of me.

Oh no... I quickly crawled away from the other three walkers that were limping towards me. I got to my feet and ran over to my gun, picked it up, and ran off down the street after Joy. I ran through Claytonwood Park and over to the Police station, where the entire front wall was blown off.

"What happened...?" I asked myself. I walked into the entrance and over to the metal door in the back. I pulled the door open to reveal the tiny little boy that thought I was an electrician. He had blood stains all along his shirt and a bullet wound in his left leg. He looked over at me with his foggy eyes.

"Mr... El-" he coughed. "Please... Help... My dad..." He pointed to the end of the hall where a man lay with a small sheet over the top of him. I walked over and pulled the sheet off of him to reveal the bruised face of the man who almost killed me. His eyes were closed as his limp arms lay still.

"Son... I can't help you..." I said, looking over at him, but he was dead. His eyes stared off as his body let out omits last breath. Tears filled my eyes as everything seemed so natural now. People were dying right in front of me, and I couldn't do anything about it. I went over to the boy, picked him up, and laid him next to his father. I shut the large metal door and entered the next room where Stevens Walker awaited me. My anger built quickly as I kicked it in the chest, knocking it onto its back. I stomped its face into the cold cement, walked over to the metal vault door, and prayed they would be there. I opened the door, and my eyes became wide at the sight. I'd never be the same again.