Chapter 25

I parked the jeep in its original spot, being met by the woman that greeted us.

"Hey, where's David?" She asked.

"David's dead. He tried to kill us." I explained.

"What?..." She asked, her eyes beginning to widen.

"He told us to fight; whoever won was to stay alive. He almost killed Jack and I." I said. Her expression changed to anger as she pulled her pistol.

"Hey! Back off!" Chuck exclaimed, walking over with the four men who tried to conduct the event. She looked over at them.

"You guys are dumbasses... How could you let them take you over?" She asked. They didn't respond.

"I suggest you put your gun down if you want them to live," Chuck ordered.

"Alright... Let's talk about this..." She said.

"What is your name?" I asked, feeling my face press in on itself as the pain of Michael's fists started to beat the adrenalin.

"My name is Maria..." She said.

"Drop the gun!" Chuck screamed. She instantly dropped the gun to the grass. I hopped out and picked up the weapon. Then, a group of soldiers started towards us.

"Chuck! Get down!" I said; he looked at the group and shoved the four men to the grass, getting behind the jeep.

"Fire!" A soldier ordered as the men unloaded metal into the side of the truck. Sarah quickly took cover behind the jeep, letting the bullets impact the jeep's side. I raised the pistol to a soldier coming up on the side of the vehicle, pulling the trigger. The soldier's head cocked back as blood sprayed from his neck, raining down on us. His body fell to the ground with a large thud.

"Get that shotgun ready!" I ordered, peering over the side of the vehicle, shooting two more soldiers down. Sarah crawled underneath the car, barely able to, but managed to get the assault rifle from the corpse. She held the gun in her hands, her entire body quivering.

"Let's go! Shoot them up, Sarah!" Chuck shouted over the loud noise of gunshots. She gulped and looked over the vehicle, pulling the trigger. Bullets sprayed into the soldiers, dropping five of them. There were only two left. Chuck stood up, shotgun at his hip, walking towards them. He shot them both with one bullet, dropping both.

"I... Killed someone..." Sarah said, dropping the gun and going into the fetal position like a baby. Chuck walked over to Maria, grabbing her neck, leading her to the jeep, and smashing her head on the front end. She fell with a squeal and landed on the ground unconscious.

"Sarah... You did a good thing... This is war..." I explained, touching her shoulder. She shrugged my hand off and stood up.

"I'm just as bad as you..." She said, walking over to the van. I followed her as Alex hopped out, carrying a large backpack with two sniper barrels sticking out of the back.

"Axel! Holy shit!" Alex said, walking over to me; he shook my hand. "Sorry about leaving you, man... We were surrounded... I thought you were dead... But damn! You can get out of any situation... Death can't get its grasp on you."

"I am dead," I said jokingly, chuckling. This joke left a disturbed expression on Alex's face. Then Kellin hopped out, brushing his long hair behind his ear. "Kellin!"

"Axel? How did you get out of that house? It was surrounded!" He asked, a slight smile appearing on his face.

"I will explain later; where are Wren and Brady?" I asked, looking past him.

"Brady and Wren both died..." Kellin said, looking down at the ground.

"What?... What happened?" I asked, feeling my heart ache.

"I'll explain later." He said, walking over to Alex. Six more people hopped out of the van, carrying assault rifles.

"Hey, Chuck? Where did you get all the machinery?" I asked.

"We managed to take a military base over. You know the one in Maine? The radio lied. It was open; people were alive. We needed to get you to him... The man that is running the place knows who you are. He asked for you; he says he has a special message just for you." Chuck explained, reloading his shotgun.

Who?...

"How did he know who I was?..." I asked, slightly creeped out by the fact that a man many miles away requested for me.

"Axel, it's your father... Your real father..." Sarah explained.

"What state are we in?" I asked.

"Tennessee, we are going to take over this place, get all the food we can, weapons, everything, and get out," Chuck said, cocking the weapon.

"What? No! My friends are in there!" Jack said, hopping out.

"We aren't going to hurt anyone other than the guards," Chuck said, turning his hat backward.

"How do you know where everything is?" I asked.

"Sir, no offense, but you ask too many questions. Grab a gun and shoot the soldiers." A man said. I walked over to the man, grabbed his shoulder, and looked him dead in his blue eyes.

"You don't know me, but I used to run this group. I lead. You keep your mouth shut and keep your head down. Make sure you are ready for a war because that is what will happen if you fight." I explained.

"Then let's go to war! Shoot anyone with a gun!" Chuck said. The rumbling of a vehicle became noticeable, coming from behind us. We started towards the front gate as a military truck approached us. It drove right past us, smashing the front gate wide open. Almost instantly, you could hear soldiers screaming, and the gunshots started.

Welcome to a war