Chapter 9

My vision blurred in and out, and the first thing I saw was the back of my military truck; a man had a gun in his lap and was looking out of the back; he wore the same attire that the man who picked me up was wearing. I dozed off.

*** 4 Hours later****

I came to consciousness and was in a building, tied down. I was shirtless. I tried to wiggle my hands-free from the rough rope that constricted me. I looked around the cement room at the four military men guarding the door. Sweat dribbled from my forehead, the metal door slammed open, and the guards at the entrance moved to the side. A man in a suit and tie stomped in, blood covering his overcoat.

"What is the fucking problem?" He screamed. He walked over and looked down at me. I coughed, and I rubbed my dry lips together.

"He's dying." A soldier yelled over to him. He pulled a bottle of water from the side pocket of his backpack and helped me drink, the warm liquid going down my dry throat. I coughed, and he pulled the water bottle away.

"We need to get the bullet out of his back, that bastard on the hill." He said, picking up a pair of tweezers; he looked me in the eyes. "This is gonna hurt." He said, unbound in my hands, and turned my body over. Instantly, pain shot up my back; I screamed at the top of my lungs until I was all the way turned onto my stomach. He stuck the metal tool into the hole in my back, opening it further, blood oozing out along with metal shavings from the bullet. I cried until he slid the metal tool out of my back. "Got it," he said, dropping the 22 Cal. Shot into a Petri dish. I watched as the bullet rolled to a stop. He stitched up the hole and rolled me back over, the unbearable pain burning my entire body. "Lay here for a while, then we will get you out of this room." He walked out of the room, leaving me on the cot.

"Selena..." I murmured under my breath; I dozed off.

***4 More hours***

I woke up and sat up on a crooked bed. My back ached as I put my feet on the stained carpet. I have a shirt now. I stood to my feet, my knees buckled, and I fell back on the bed. I looked around at the small, dimly lightened room. There was a wooden cane with a note on it and my backpack leaning against the nightstand. I took the letter and read it:

Thought you might need this :)
-Doctor

I set the note on the bed and picked up the cane, pulling myself to my feet. I slipped the backpack over my shoulders and limped out of the room into an unfamiliar hospital-looking room. It was in the shape of an octagon all the way around. Men and women walked around, all injured in one way or another. I limped to the elevator, where I pushed the down button. The elevator didn't come for about a minute. When it opened, I was met by six people in doctor's jackets wheeling a bloody man down the hall on a blood-drenched stretcher. His neck had teeth marks on it.

What the hell... I need to get out of here. I got into the elevator and pushed the floor one button. The elevator closed, leaving me alone. The elevator started downwards as I paced the small room. The elevator "dinged," and the door opened to multiple men in military uniforms.

"Board the windows! Grab anything! We are being attacked!" One of the men said. Gunshots could be heard outside. Confusion began to settle in my brain as the events were happening so fast. The windows were boarded up quicker than I could say anything. A firm hand fell on my shoulder as I walked out of the elevator.

"Sir, I must ask you to go back upstairs." A military man said to me. I looked into his silver eyes and took a bold stand.

"No. I need to leave." I said to him, walking around the desk and over to the glass doors to peek out. Walkers were limping in large groups of about 50 at a time. I looked at the top of a building and saw four men with snipers; they were picking the walkers off one by one as they limped toward the building.

"Still need to leave? Where are you going to go?" The man said to me. I turned to look at his straight face as the other soldiers quivered in their armor.

"Back to Maine," I said. He chuckled.

"It's going to be a long walk then. We're in Georgia." He said.

"Wha- what? We... We are in..." I stuttered

"We are in Georgia; we are the only troops left in our squadron, you hear me? This is it. The lab was closed off, and no one was getting in. It's on lockdown; if anyone is in there, they are being a dick and just letting helpless people die. This is our protection in Georgia; over two days, everything went to shit." He explained. The words rang in my ears as I stared as the multiple walkers fell to the road before them. Immediately, screams came from the stairs as frantic people sprinted through the metal door. A nurse covered in blood came up to the man who had been associating himself with me.

"We have walkers upstairs. They are killing people." The woman said. The soldier looked at two young soldiers, and they ran up the stairs.

"Close off the stairs," I said.

"I'm sorry?" The soldier said.

"Close off the stairs; anyone up there is most likely dead; you don't know who is dead and who isn't already bitten. It's not worth the risk." I said, still staring out the window.

"You know, you got a lot of nerve to say that in front of my squadron like that." He said. I turned to the scarred soldiers as they stared me down nervously. "And also, thanks for the 44. Magnum." I looked at him as he spun the clip in the silver gun.

"Give that to me," I demanded.

"Whatcha gonna do about it?" He asked me, getting in my face. I gripped the cane and swung it upwards, nailing him in the balls; he tucked over, allowing me to smash his nose. He fell on his back as I slipped the gun from his hands, spun it around on my fingers, and pointed it at him. He was crying now.

"Okay, okay... I'm sorry, please..." He begged me.

"Give me the keys to the truck," I demanded. He pulled them from his pocket and handed them to me. I walked over to the door and turned to the group. "Get inside the stairs, don't follow me." The soldiers did as I said. I shot the glass out of the door and walked out. I walked over to the truck and hopped in. I started the car and got ready for a long ride home. I needed to find my wife, and I needed to know if Selena was okay.