Chapter 8

"Why did you shut the damn door?" I screamed at Luis.

"I panicked! Okay? I'm sorry!" He said.

"Are we going to die down here?" Sarah asked.

"No, babe, we aren't going to die," I said, walking over and hugging her close.

"Guys quit being asses, and let's go, there's a vent up here, we can crawl through." She said.

"I'll go." I volunteered.

"No, you can't go alone. I'm coming with you." Selena said.

"Okay." I smiled. She smiled back, then looked up at the vent.

"We need to get it open somehow." She said.

"I got it," I said, smashing my axe into the metal. It fell to the hard floor with a loud crackle.

"Give me a boost." She said, putting her hands on my shoulders. I cupped my hands and helped her step up. I pushed her to the vent, and she squirmed in.

"I'm gonna need someone to give me my fire axe when I get up there," I said.

"Got you covered," Luis said.

"No, you've done enough," I said, handing the axe to Alex. "Be ready." I climbed onto the shelf and jumped, grabbing the vent's metal. I pulled myself up and into the vent. Selena was waiting for me. "Okay, hand it up." Alex handed up the axe, and we were off. We went down the vast maze, finally finding an exit.

"Here we go, hand me the axe." She said. I handed it to her as she got ready to hit the metal cover out of the way. She stopped.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Shut up..." She whispered.

"Why?" I asked.

"We aren't the only ones here, shut up..." She whispered.

"The trucks outside, we can get the keys off that bastard." Someone with a familiar voice said.

"It's the guy from the sofa," I whispered.

"Did we have to bring the boy?" Another voice said.

"I'm not a boy; I'm a man!" The boy said. The men went through the door where the jail cells were.

"Okay, we are clear." She said, knocking the metal blockage out of the way. The metal hit the ground loudly. Selena dropped down from the pipe and stood up; walkers were outside. Selena shut the glass entrance door. They slammed into the glass and groaned.

"Come on, quickly!" Selena said, just as the door to the jail cells opened.

"Hey! Get down on the ground!" The man said. She put her hands up and got on her knees. The man walked up to her with his smokey hair. He put his shotgun barrel to her head. My anger built quickly; I shuffled out of the vent and kicked the man in the head. He fell to the ground unconscious.

"Let's go!" I said, running over to the door. I opened it and was met by another man with a shotgun. He hit me in the nose with it, forcing me backward and hitting the desk.

"Get down on the ground, you little bastard." He said.

"Dad, No! He's the repair man!" The boy said, stepping in front of his dad.

"What the hell? He's not a repairman!" The man said.

"Yes, he is! He came into my room!" The boy argued.

"He what?!?" His dad said I could tell he was getting angry as his fingers tensed on his shotgun. He looked over at Selena, who was still on the ground; he aimed his shotgun and shot. The glass on the door shattered, letting the walkers in. Selena looked at the doors and started to run, tripping on her foot. She hit her head on the ground and became unconscious. My eyes widened as I looked at the walkers coming towards her. I pulled the 44 magnum from my pocket, pointed it, and shot; the gun kicked back hard, and the bullet impaled the walker in the arm. It didn't even faze it; it kept limping towards her body. A small group of walkers started eating the man with smokey hair. I jumped over the desk and ran up to Selena; grabbing her arms, I dragged her body to the door to the cells. The man with the shotgun looked at me.

"Sorry, repair man, but you gonna die today!" He said, shutting the door.

"Open it!" I screamed, slamming my fist against the door. I looked back as the walkers were getting closer. I picked Selena up and slung her over my shoulder, grabbing the axe and running out the broken window I shattered the day before. I ran around the corner and was met by a walker. He turned around and started towards me; I put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger, blood splattering everywhere. I ran to the back, where a cage blocked my entrance.

Think, think, what am I going to do? I set Selena down and started climbing the fence. I scaled the wall for any opportunity to get Selena over. Groaning came from the side of the building now; they were coming quickly. I dropped down from the fence and started dragging her away from the building. We got to the hill, and I stopped, lying down in the grass. The walkers limped to the back and started towards us. Just then, there was the sound of gunshots. A bullet splattered chunks of bark into my face from the tree next to me.

"Oh shit..." I said, slapping Selena's face hard. "Wake up!" I screamed. A walker limped towards me, I stood up and hit it with the butt of the 44. Magnum. It fell to the grass, and I ran, leaving Selena behind. Another bullet came, and I instantly dropped to the grass; pain surged through my back as I lay dying. Just then, a man came up to me in a military suit; he shot his automatic into the trees. I used my peripheral vision to see a figure drop from the tree.

"Come on, bud. You will be okay." He said, slinging me over his shoulder.

"Se... Selena..." I murmured as my vision became blurry.

"What was that?" The man asked me. I passed out.

*****

Sorry about the short chapter. I've been swamped lately, so please vote for the story, and I promise to write more! Thanks :) Love you all.