Chapter 17

I woke up to groaning and scratching. Still handcuffed to the chair tipped on its side. I looked out the small cracked window touching the top of the ceiling in the small damp basement, nightfall.

"Hello?" I shouted. No one answered. I looked at the bed where Chuck was lying before I was struck. It was empty. Creaking came from upstairs as footsteps became louder and louder. "Hey! I'm downstairs!" I screamed, hoping to find refuge. Just as I called, the groaning and scratching became louder and louder on the door leading to the basement where I was. When I realized, tears began to fill my eyes.

She's not dead... Everyone I know... No... I looked around the room, hoping to find something to cut the rope bounding my feet; a small pair of surgical scissors was on the ground next to the bed where Chuck was lying before. I used my momentum to inch myself toward the scissors slowly. As I got closer, my breathing became heavier, and I started to get tired. When I was about halfway there, I had to stop for a moment.

Sarah... She was all I could think about her voice, her eyes, her beautiful hair, everything I had fallen in love with. I strived to see her again. I continued until I reached the scissors, struck them in my mouth, and tossed them behind me. There was the sound of the metal hitting the floor. I tried to see behind me as the metal of the scissors sparkled in the moonlight. I scooted the chair back and fell blindly until I grabbed them. Just then, the door at the top of the stairs cracked. Sending an echo down the stairs. I stared up at the door and waited. Silence filled the entire room. The groaning grew louder as the door cracked again. "Oh, Shit!"
I slid the scissors across the rope, holding my hands as fast as I could, constantly keeping my eyes on the door. A chunk of the door flew down the stairs, revealing an older man with a piece of his head missing. Just then, the rope snapped, causing me to drop the scissors. I grabbed them behind me, sliding my body down to my feet and cutting the cord, holding my feet. I got up just as the door shattered, sending four walkers flailing down the stairs. The older man hit the cement floor, cracking his head and sending blood and brain onto my shoes and jeans. The second one landed on top of the older man. The walker got to its feet and started towards me. I backed into the corner and waited. It was about 7 feet from me when I charged and stabbed it in the head with a pair of scissors. Just then, screaming came from upstairs. The third walker's head splattered on the stairs, and the fourth reached its feet. I shoved it into the wall as it tripped over the older man. I jumped up the stairs and ran through the kitchen towards the screaming. The house was dark, the window in the living room was shattered, and the coffee table was on its side, bullet holes in the walls, picture frames shattered. The house was a mess. I walked down the hall, scissors in hand.

"Help! Please!" A woman said. Groaning and banging came from the outside of the door as a figure slammed against it. I walked up to the figure and slammed the scissors into its head. The body hit the wall, then the floor, lying limp.

"It's okay. I'm here." I said, opening the door. Two women I didn't recognize sat against the wall in the small bathroom, guns in their hands. I put my hands up in surrender. "Woah, woah... I am here to help..."

"Who are you?" One of them said.

"My name is Axel," I said to the woman; she had blonde hair with blood streaking it, a stained black tank top, and holy jeans.

"Kristy. This is my sister, Taylor," She said, lowering her weapon and pointing to the brown-haired younger woman.

"What happened here?" I asked, hoping that Sarah would get out.

"The military happened. They were blaring music to lure the zombies away, but it didn't work. It only made it so they got killed. They tried to shoot their way out, but they ended up shooting the front window out of the house and leading the walkers in to take out the group. We snuck into the house to scavenge, but the window shattered, so we hid here." She explained. Tears filled my eyes, and I realized that she was most likely dead. "What's wrong?"

"My wife was here when this happened... Are you sure no one made it out?" I asked.

"I don't know exactly... I saw a truck leave with two people in the back, but that's it." Kristy said, peeking out the window. I walked out of the bathroom and over to the living room window, looking at the militia truck in the middle of the street. I entered the kitchen, where a large box lay on the table. I opened the box, revealing an M160 with two ammunition boxes, 100 rounds each. I went out onto the closed-in porch where my backpack lay beside with chucks and Alex's duffle bag. I slipped my pack on, pulling the fire axe from the loop in the side of the pack. I returned to the kitchen, grabbed the m160, loaded it with one of the mags, and slipped the other into the backpack's side pocket. Kristy and her sister walked into the kitchen with two M16 rifles.

"Damn. Where did you get those?" I asked Kristy, pointing at the rifles.

"They were in the bedroom on the right. There was also a corpse, but I couldn't recognize it; the walkers got to it first." Kristy explained. A significant phase of nausea hit me as I started to fall over; I used the kitchen table for support. Kristy grabbed my shoulder to help me up. "Woah. Are you okay?" I blinked a few times and looked around; my vision was blurry, and I felt dizzy.

"Uhh... Ye-yeah..." I slurred.

"Taylor, get him a chair!" Kristy demanded. Taylor sprung out of her daze, pulled a chair from the table, and slid it under my legs. I instantly collapsed into the chair and shut my eyes.

"He's dehydrated, and he is suffering from lack of sleep, Kristy," Taylor said, turning on the water and grabbing a cup, filling it. I opened my eyes to Taylor, lifting my head to look into her emerald green eyes. I opened my mouth as she poured the clear liquid into my mouth. Almost instantly, my body became more vigorous. My dizziness was gone, and I was able to stand. I stood to my feet but was stopped by Taylor, putting her hands on my shoulders. "You need to sleep; come with me." She took my hand and led me to a bedroom one room past the bathroom. "Watch your step." She said, opening the door and stepping over the dead walker on the floor. I stepped over the walker and into the bedroom, where Taylor led me to the bed and sat down. I sat down next to her and waited. "I know we don't know each other, but I'm here to care for you. The group you were with, you were the leader, you took care of them. I-I was the" just then screaming came from the kitchen. We both looked out the door to where the sound was.

"Shit! Kristy!" I screamed, standing up and running out the door; my shoulder burned from being shot. I tripped over the walker on the ground; I caught myself on the wall with my bad arm, climbing back to my feet and throwing the backpack down, running through the living room into the kitchen to see Kristy wrestling a walker off. The walker I shoved downstairs. Just then, there was a gunshot from directly behind me, causing ringing in my ears. The walker splattered onto the wall and into Kristy. Kristy tucked over and puked. I fell to the ground because of the ringing.

"Axel!" Taylor said; I barely heard her in the muffled sounds. She turned me over onto my back so I looked at her. My vision blurred in and out again. I sunk into a reality of different galaxies that took me into a different reality. I was unconscious once again.