Chapter 18

I dreamt of a time that I'd never been in before. I was falling, falling fast, almost into the unknown. I could barely open my eyes as the wind forced my long hair back. My stomach jerked back and forth in a circle, causing nausea to rupture every bone in my body. I tried to scream but couldn't even hear myself think. I fell past a column of metal floating in the air until I reached a large body of water; I hit the water hard and instantly awoke. I sat up, clutching Taylor's arm tightly.

"Hurry up!" Taylor screamed, looking over to Kristy, who was holding a door closed as walkers beat it, trying to open it.

"I'm trying!" Kristy said, fidgeting with a lock in the loophole.

"W-where are we?" I said, turning over and coughing. I looked around the small store-looking area with trash lining the floor.

"I'll explain later; right now, you need to stay down," Taylor said, running down a long corridor behind me and turning into a flashlight-lit room.

"Taylor! I can't get it without you!" Kristy screamed, her feet sliding away from the door.

If I don't help, I won't leave here.

I stood up as fast as I could, instantly feeling my body ache; my stomach churned. I limped over to Kristy, pressing against the door.

"H-hurry and lock it; I got the door," I said, flushing my face.

"You sure you can-" Kristy started.

"Just do it already!" I screamed, holding the door. Kristy let go and bent down, sliding the lock into the loop and clicking it shut.

"Done!" Kristy said, falling backward. My entire body burned at the pressure that was against my body. I fell to the ground as the door peeked open just enough to let the bloody fingers creep through the crack. The lock quickly strained against the pressure. I sat, watching the walker's beady black eyes as they groaned and slammed against the door. Taylor ran back into the room with a bottle of water.

"What happened?" She screamed. Kristy stood up and walked over to her, stopping her in her tracks as she watched me; my face became pale as sickness flowed through my bones.

"It's okay. He helped me hold the door before it opened and let us all die." Kristy explained. I stood to my feet, propping my body against the empty metal shelf.

"I-I'm okay," I said, coughing. 

"Here," Taylor said, handing me a bottle of water and hugging me. "I'm glad you are okay."

I hugged her back, "so am I." I said, opening the bottle and taking a drink.

"Wanna know how we got here?" Taylor asked as Kristy went into the back room.

"Yeah," I said reluctantly, leaning against the shelf.

"Well, when you fell unconscious, the gunshot caused me to attract walkers. Kristy and I dragged your body out into the yard as they came. There was a man by the name of Chuck. He-"

"Wait... Chuck. Did he say anything?" I asked, hoping it was my group.

"Yeah... He asked to get you out of here. He said he would cover us as we got to the truck in the back." Taylor explained.

"Where is he? I need to see him," I said, standing up.

"He is in the other room... I will take you to him." She said, putting my arm over her shoulder and leading me past the room she entered and turning the corner into a door. "Before we go in... I need to tell you, we found others..."

"What do you mean... Others?" I asked. Taylor ignored my question and opened the door to a man in a hidden hazmat suit leaning against a truck. There was a Colt 45 on his belt and a rifle lying against the blue truck.