Chapter 12

I awoke to the roaring of the Flames as they engulfed the building. Kellin had driven the truck under the pavilion to seek cover from the rain of bullets from the roof. Collin was still lifeless on the ground as I limped out of the burning building.

"Get in! Collins dead!" Brad said as Wren helped him into the back of the truck. I hopped into the front seat, sliding the bags and weapons onto the ground. I picked the rifle up and pulled myself out of the broken window, looking towards the group of walkers coming up the road towards the burning hotel. I shot a few of their bloody corpses down as Kellin drove down the road and out onto the interstate, running the group of walkers over. Chase pounded on the window from the back of the truck.

"Wrens having a seizure!" He screamed.

"Why?" Kellin screamed, accelerating to a scary 87 miles an hour.

"He's having heroine withdraws!" Chase screamed over the loud motor. Kellin looked at me with a stern face. I looked back and smirked. He slapped my chest.

"This isn't funny! I have a shot in my bag, but it's my last one! It's a blue bag. Side pocket." He said, watching the road. I pulled the clear liquid tube out of the side and waited. "What are you doing?"

"Stop the truck!" I said.

"Smash the damn window!" Kellin said, smirking. I rolled my eyes and hit the window with the butt of the gun, shattering the glass. Chase took the syringe and injected it into Wren. His seizure stopped, and he calmed down within 15 minutes. Chase looked at me.

"Thank you." He said.

"It was my last one, so be sure to tell him," Kellin said, turning off the interstate into a gas station lot. "Brad! Fill up the truck!"

"Got it!" Brad said, hopping out of the truck.

"So you..." I said awkwardly.

"We all have our problems..." Kellin said, looking out of the window. I sighed and laid my head back in my seat. I hadn't slept on choice for a while. My parents died three months before this all happened in an accident. I was an only child, so my parents were everything to me. The day it happened was the first night I'd slept for more than six hours. My eyes were heavy as I closed them; nothing felt better. "Hey, there is movement in the gas station..."

"Probably just walkers," I said.

"Didn't know walkers had guns and backpacks; they are scavenging," Kellin said snobbishly. I opened my eyes and looked at the two figures inside, the lights flickering now and then to show their blue and yellow hoodies and black backpacks; they had rifles and were defiantly scavenging the place.

"Let's get them," I said, hopping out.

"Gas is done," Brad said.

"Great, come on, you still have a grenade?" I asked him.

"Yeah, why?" He asked.

"We might need it; come on!" I said, walking over to the front door of the gas station, gun in hand. Brad followed behind me. I looked at the large padlock and Chain that lay on the sidewalk beside the door. We opened the front door, the bell rang, and the two figures got down.

"Get back! We will shoot you!" A voice said it sounded like a younger boy's voice.

"We aren't here to hurt anyone unless you are walkers," I said, strolling to the back of the store where the beer aisle was. It was a typical Shell gas station. I got down in the candy aisle, where it was still stalked full.

"Get down on the ground!" Another voice said this was a muscular and gruff voice, unlike the boyish voice we had heard before.

"Sir, we are friendly," I said, not knowing where they were. Brad scouted around the back; he looked at me and mouthed. "By the slushy machines." I nodded in confirmation that I got his message and started towards the machines.

"We need this food! Get out!" The man said. I didn't say anything as I quickly came out from behind the slushy machine and kicked the man into a glass door; it shattered at the force he hit it with. He fell to the ground, and I kicked his weapon away from him. A gunshot flew past my ear and hit the ceiling. I ducked and turned to see a young boy with a gun, his hands shaking. I grabbed the gun from his hands and turned around to be hit in the face. I fell to the ground and was kicked over and over. Brad came up behind the man and tackled him into the doughnut display case, shattering the glass and spilling doughnuts everywhere.

"Dad!" The boy screamed. I got to my feet, grabbing the boy and holding his neck. Brad forced the man to the ground with his hands. The man looked at me with anger.

"Get off of my son! I will kill you!" He screamed, trying to get up.

"We just want to talk!" Brad said.

"How did you get in here?" I asked.

"You mother-" he started, trying to get up again.

"Answer me!" I screamed, choking the boy. He squealed, and the man stopped.

"Okay! Okay! I picked the lock! I am good at that!" He said.

"How many people are with you?" I asked.

"Just my son and I." He said. I observed him, making sure he wasn't lying.

"Do you have handcuffs?" I asked him.

"Of course, my dad was an officer before this happened." He said.

"Give them to my friend Brad right there," I said. The man gave them to him, and Brad turned him over and handcuffed him.

"Why are you doing this?" He asked.

"Shut up," Brad said, slapping his head.

"Son, you will sit by your dad and wait," I demanded.

"Yes, sir..." He said. I threw him down next to his dad and picked up my weapon, pointing it at them.

"Go get the boys; we are gonna scavenge this place," I said.

"Yep!" Brad said, walking out of the door. He screamed something to the guys in the vacant parking lot, and they sprinted out and up to the door with their bags and baseball bats.

"Take it all!" Kellin said, walking into the alcohol aisle.

"Hey! None of that in my truck." I said. Kellin looked at me over the rows.

"Don't be an ass. Let's drink till we can't drink anymore!" He said, tearing open a box of Bud Light and stuffing cans into his bag. I looked at the man, who was staring at me.

"Your group is a bunch of idiots." He whispered. Brad walked over with his bat and got down next to the man's face.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Nothing..." The man said.

"That's right." He said, getting up and going into the protein bar section and stuffing his bag. Once the backpacks were complete, the group left me and the man and his boy in the room.

"Sorry man, we were starving... We just got out of some bad shit." I said.

"Yeah... I'm sure... Get me out of these handcuffs and leave." The man said.

"Come with us," I said.

"Hell no. I've got a family to feed; these aren't just times of being poor; this is survival, and I'll do what I need to do to provide, not ditch them." He said. I unhandcuffed him, and he stood up.

"Well, then, I guess this is goodbye," I said, putting my hand out for him to shake. He looked at my hand and went to the back to grab anything left for him. I honestly felt guilty for what had happened, but this is survival, and I plan to survive.