Chapter Twenty Two

So guys. A new chapter :)

I think I asked for 5 votes last time, but I have a lot of free time lately... I won't ask for a number this time. Just votes wil be nice.

Song of the day: Desolation Row by My Chemical Romance

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't you ever say that!" Alex slapped me round the face, glaring at me.

"Why shouldn't I?" I screamed, clenching my fists and throwing them against his chest. He grabbed hold of my wrists and held me still, resisting against all of my weak efforts to break free. Tears streamed down my face and Alex watched as I struggled to contain my tears.

"Don't you ever say that." he said softly, looking into my eyes with his beautiful chocolate brown ones.

"Why shouldn't I?" I whispered, ducking my head to look at the floor. He didn't understand how I felt. He would never understand.

"Why? If you had died, I would never have met you. Peeta wouldn't have you as such a good friend; Laura loves you and my mum thinks your sweet. You said it yourself on that cliff top: it would destroy your parents. Do you think they would be at work right now if you had died? How do you think they would have felt if the police had found your body in a ditch somewhere? How do you think I would have coped? If you just decided life wasn't worth living anymore...?" He ran a hand through his hair and stood up, sighing.

I felt alone without Alex there and hugged my knees to my chest. Tears still rolled down my face and I sighed. "Alex..." I murmured, looking up at his pacing figure.

"No Scarlett! You shouldn't even be thinking of these things. You're a sixteen year old girl, for gods sake: You should be worrying about drugs and getting drunk doing well in school, not if you're gonna bloody die in your bloody sleep!" He sat down next to me with his head in his hands. Me and Peeta sat there watching him, unsure of what to do. Sobs occasionally escaped Peeta's lips and I sighed. They were both was worrying and panicking over me. It was ridiculous; Alex was right I should be worrying about stupid meaningless stuff.

"Alex." I placed a hand on his shoulder and watched him. "You're right, you know you are but it won't change anything. I'm still going to be like this and the only thing you can do is be there for me. That's all you can ever do." He remained silent for a while and then looked down at me.

"I know," he whispered.

"Then stop trying to do more than that. That's all I need you to do." We all sat in silence for a while, Peeta perched on the edge of a chair and me and Alex sat on the floor next to each other. A key in the lock made me jump and Peeta giggled.

"Scarlett! I'm back!" my dad called, walking into the living room. "Hello Peeta, Alex." He nodded at both of them before walking through to the kitchen.

"I guess we should go then." Peeta said, standing up. My eyes widened.

"Alex can you..." I trailed off. He nodded, understanding immediately what I meant, before walking out with Peeta. I pulled myself onto the sofa and reached for my phone, texting Alex instructions.

"Where did your friends go?" My dad walked back in, frowning at the empty spots where my friends where.

"They went home. They have school tomorrow." I answered, and he shrugged.

"Well do you want to have some dinner? Your mother won't be home until later so you should eat now if you want to.

"I'm good. I think I'm just going to go upstairs and sleep." I said and he nodded. Pulling out my phone, I texted Alex and traipsed upstairs. I put my music player on and lay down on my bed, tired but nervous to sleep. It was evening, and nearly dark but not quite. Warm orange light filled the room and I sighed happily, basking in the sun.

A tap on my window shocked me and I jumped, before realising who it was. I reached for the window and pulled it open, letting Alex climb in before shutting it and laying back down.

"Are you okay?" I nodded, moving over so Alex could lie next to me. "Are you sure?" I nodded again, sighing.

"I'm just a bit scared. What if I fall asleep and you're not there and I actually do..." I looked up at him with nervous eyes.

"That won't happen. You don't normally have recurring dreams do you?" he asked and I shook my head. "Then you should be fine."

"But what if?"

"I'll stay tonight okay? I'll stay awake and make sure you're okay and not dead." He smirked at the last bit and I rolled my eyes.

"Thankyou Alex." I said, hesitating and then leaning forward and kissing him on the cheek. A grin broke out on his face and I flushed red, looking away from him. He chuckled quietly and I scowled at the floor.

"Scarlett, you're so cute. Like a little puppy." Alex said and I raised my eyebrows.

"Just shut up and stay hidden. My parents will not be happy if you're here." I said and he grinned. I went and shut my door before returning to my place.

"You know why they don't like me?" It's because I'm a rebel."

"Right, because all normal parents would be perfectly happy about a boy sleeping in their daughters room." He rolled his eyes

"Sarcasm doesn't suit you my dear."

"Oh go die in a hole." I snapped playfully, turning away from him and crossing my arms.

"Well if you want me to leave..." He stood up and walked towards the window.

"No!" I said quickly grabbing his arm desperately. He turned around, frowning.

"I wasn't really going to go. I'm not that mean." He took a hold of my hands and looked me straight in the eyes. "I wouldn't do that to you. Why would you even think that?"

"You looked like you were leaving, what was I supposed to think? You know how nervous I get about everything." I looked down.

"Look at me." He put a finger under my chin and pushed it up so I was looking at him. "Scarlett Davis, I promise you I will never leave you. Not until you ask me to go and hopefully that time won't come soon." A smile made its way onto my face.

"You better keep your promise." I warned and he scoffed.

"I don't break my promises." Alex sat down next to my bed and I moved next to him.

"Thankyou Alex," I said, "Thankyou for everything."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah. Enjoy.

COMMENT

VOTE

FAN

LIKE

TWEET

LICK

:P