Chapter Ten

That night, I tried desperately to stay awake, knowing that the nightmares would be worse than ever because of earlier. Alex had slept all day, and I had watched him sleep. He looked so peaceful, probably completely different to what I looked like. I couldn't remember the last time I'd had a dreamless night. Actually I couldn't remember the last time I'd slept through the night. The nightmares always woke me up. I sighed, putting my head in my hands. I couldn't stay awake forever. I had school tomorrow anyway,

"Scarlett?" I looked up to see Alex watching me. "You look tired" he commented, moving over on the sofa. I chuckled quietly, but stayed sat where I was. "You need to sleep at some point" I shook my head like an insolent child, and to be honest I kind of felt like one. "Don't you have school tomorrow" I frowned, and slowly nodded. It was 1:00am, which meant school started in about 7 hours. I closed my eyes and leaned back on the sofa. I felt myself drifting into sleep almost immediately, and I heard Alex humming Happy Ending by MIKA. A small smile made its way onto my face as I fell into unconciousness.

(Flashback)

"Scarwett?" I slowly opened my eyes, and smiled gently at Maddy.

"What's wrong hon?" I asked her, siting up and wincing as my ankle jarred against the floor.

"I'm hungwy" she nestled into me and closed her eyes.

"I know. I am too." I stroked her hair and her breathing became even. She was finally asleep. I sat there for a few minutes in the dark and cold, holding Maddy close to me. A door slammed open from the other side of the warehouse, making me jump.

"Hello little brats. Do you want to play a game?" he walked briskly over to me and grabbed my shoulder, yanking me up and throwing Maddy onto the floor. She began to cry, and he kicked her, sending her sprawling across the floor.

"Maddy!" I screeched, tryinng to escape from his grasp. My ankle burned with pain as I struggled, but I ignored it, trying desperately to get to Maddy.

"Stop squirming you brat!" he punched me in the side of my face, and I stood there, watching the room spin. "That's better" I shook my head slightly, and tried to turn around to see Maddy. "I have to say I'm impressed. That's probably the first time you've stayed standing after I punched you that hard." he sneered at me.

"Please don't hurt her." I stuttered, trying not to cry out. My voice sounded distant, like I wasn't the one talking.

"Well I'll have to give you her punishment then" he grinned, and I nodded.

"Alright" I whispered. He looked shocked at first, but then shrugged.

"Suit yourself" I closed my eyes to wait, and soon enough my legs were knocked out from under me. My legs felt like they had been snapped in half and I cried out, in pure agony. This fueled his anger, and he kicked me in the stomach, and then in the chest. I was winded, and I lay there gasping for breath. He left me lay like that and walked into the other room, chuckling as he went.

"Scarwett" a quiet voice whispered into my ear. I was still dizzy, and I tried to turn around, but failed. "Are you okay Scarwett? Why does he hurt you? He always does it." she began to sob, and a small groan escaped my lips. I was breathing heavily now that I could breathe again. I was too weak to move. I felt myself falling unconcious, and I knew i the back of my mind that I had to stay awake. I struggled desperately, knowing I had to do it for Maddy. She was wailing, desperately shaking me.

"Shut it brat." an angry voice roared and Maddy was flung across the room.

"Maddy..." I whispered, before slipping away into blackness.

(Present)

"Scarlett! Scarlett wake up! Calm down it was just a dream." I woke up sobbing. It had seemed so real. I tryed to contain myself but I ended up crying into Alex's shoulder. He held me, rubbing my back and muttering soothing things into my ear. I eventually calmed down, and I jumped when I realised how close I was to him. He looked hurt for a minute and just watched me move away.