Chapter 8

The plane landed in New York late at night.  Priya fell asleep halfway through the flight and stayed asleep until the plane bounced against the tarmac before jerking to a halt.  She looked over at Aman, who seemed like he hadn’t slept at all on the flight. He looked just as tired as she felt.  The voice of the pilot roared through the intercom thanking the passengers for choosing that airline.  Many of the passengers began to unbuckle their seatbelts and stood to gather their carryon luggage.  Aman stayed seated.

            Priya unbuckled her seatbelt, but stayed seated. She was seated in the window seat, so she couldn’t move until Aman stood up.  She just waited.  She watched as the other passengers crowded into the aisle, waiting to leave.  Priya turned to look out the window.  She had never been to America before.  The sight outside wasn’t impressive, just a few planes that had landed.  She was excited nonetheless.  She turned back to Aman and noticed that people had already begun to exit the airplane. 

            “Aman.” Priya said trying to get Aman’s attention. He was still buckled in. 

            Aman turned to look at Priya.

            “Aren’t we getting off?” she continued.

            “Yeah. Just a minute.” He unbuckled his seatbelt but didn’t stand up. 

            After the majority of the passengers exited the plane, Aman stood up and proceeded to exit.  Priya followed.  Once they got through the grueling immigration process, they left the airport and stood outside waiting with all their luggage for a taxi.  Priya absorbed the sights around her. She was in America!  She felt as excited as a child in a candy store.  Even though the night’s darkness made it difficult to see, Priya believed New York City was beautiful.   

            A taxi finally pulled up. Aman instructed Priya to sit inside while he helped the driver load the luggage in the trunk.  Priya was eager to see the sights through the window of the taxi as it pulled away from the airport, but fatigue got the best of her. She nestled into the seat and allowed herself to drift off to sleep.

            “Priya.” Priya heard someone whisper her name.  Her eyes fluttered open.  She noticed the taxi had stopped.  They must have arrived at Aman’s house.  She was clutching on to Aman’s arm.  As soon as she noticed, she immediately backed away.  Aman got out of the taxi and walked around to the other side. He opened Priya’s door and held out his hand. She took it as she exited the taxi. 

            “This is my house, well our house.” Said Aman gesturing to the mansion in front of them. 

            Priya mouth fell open.  She was used to the mansions in India, but Aman’s mansion was on a whole different scale.  He led her through the front door.  The house was dark, and Aman didn’t bother turning on any lights.  The main entrance itself took Priya’s breath away.  She took in the sight before her.  High ceilings, marbled floors, a grand staircase greeted Priya as she stepped inside.  Aman led her up the grand staircase.  He was too tired to give her an official tour of his house.  It could wait until tomorrow. 

            “Usually, I don’t have maids and butlers live here. I tend to like my privacy, and I’m hardly ever home. But I called them in before we left India, so they could prepare the house.” Aman explained as several of his butlers lifted Priya’s luggage up the stairs and down the hall. 

            “Prepare the house?” questioned Priya.

            “Yeah. Clean the house and make sure everything was ready for you.” Answered Aman. He led her down the hall.