No Time For That ...

Rashaun

"Daddy where we goin?"

Layken asked from the backseat. I looked at her in the rear view mirror and smiled shaking my head. She been askin questions since we got in the car. I thought Liz needed a day to herself so i left her some money to get her nails done and go shopping. She was sleep when i left so she gon be mad about the money but oh well she'll get over it. Today it was just me and my baby girl. I didnt want her to know where we were goin cuz when we got there i had a surprise for her.

"I told you its a surprise baby."

"Okay.."

I looked at her in the rear view mirror and she was looking out the window nodding her head to the music that was playing. I handed her my phone as something to keep her busy the rest of the way. It was a pretty far drive since we moved way out here but i dont mind it. Shit my family safe if that means a longer car ride then so be it. I pulled up to my dads house parking behind his car. Yeah things werent good between us for a while but he is my dad. I wouldve never started talking to him again if it wasnt for Liz and baby girl. But i was here cuz we had sum planned for Layken's early birthday gift. I shut off the car and got out shutting the door to go around and get Layken. I carried her up to the front door and knocked. You could tell she didnt know where she was cuz she stayed quiet with her head reasted on my shoulder.

"Hey Ray come on in."

My dad's girl Trish answered the door. She was cool. They got together a lil bit after we stopped talking. She helped and got him back feet and now they got a place together. I dont mind her cuz she keeps him outta trouble and she aint never disrespected me or my family. So ill like her till she give me a reason not to. I walked in side shutting the door behind me.

"Who is this little cutie?"

"This my baby girl Layken. Say hi mamas"

"Hi .."

"She shy right now give her a second."

"No need to be shy around me hun. Lemme go get your dad."

She walked out the living room disappearing into the hall. I sat on the couch with Layken in my lap. She looked so lost. She was just looking around but stayed quiet. Layken was never shy unless she didnt know you. I like that though cause i dont have to worry about her goin off with nobody.

"What chu bein shy for baby?"

She just shrugged and leaned back resting on my chest. I kissed her head and sat there waiting. About 5 minutes later my dad walked in and sat down across from us. Layken didnt notice him cuz she had her back to the rest of the room. He called her name making her turn around real fast.

"Grampa!"

I put her down and she ran over to him. He picked her up and sat her in his lap. Trish called me into the back room so i got up and walked back there leaving Layken with my dad. When i got in there she was holding a black and white baby pit. The surprise was her puppy. I had my dad get it the other day and he kept it here for me. I picked up the puppy holding it close and walked out the room. When i got to the living room Layken was sitting on my dads lap and they were talking. When my dad seen me he covered Layken's eyes.