Chapter 29 The urge to play

Sophia's POV

*************************

I don't know what woke me up but it did. It was like a wave of emotion that hit me, like my heart was trying to give out a message but I don't know what.

I looked over at the small clock that was sat on the bed side table, it read '06:42'. Nobody else would be up for a while so I decided to go downstairs to prevent waking anyone up.

I sat up and turned to get out of my bed, each movement making the springs in the mattress squeak. As I was walking out I heard someone move, I snapped my head back to see what it was, it turns out that Lauren had just rolled over in her sleep. On my way out I grabbed a grey hoodie that hung just behind the door, pulling it over my head before exiting and making my way down the stairs, as quiet as possible.

As my foot hit the tiled flooring I felt the coolness spread around the surface area of my feet. I sat on the sofa in the other room and pulled out my phone from the deep pocket of the hoodie.

As I scrolled through Twitter, something caught my eye in the other room. One of Amy's guitars sat upright against the wall. I hadn't even touched a guitar since I left the U.K., or any instrument for that matter, but some sudden urge was telling me to go play. I could fight it, the urge was too strong. I lifted the wooden instrument and sat it comfortably over my knee, as I sat on the piano stool. My fingers plucked at the strings as if they were trying to remember how to play. However once I got started I couldn't stop! It was like I had never stop playing, my fingers sat perfectly in each position of the chords as the beautiful sound of song filled the room.

Lauren's POV

*************************

I heard someone getting up and leaving the room, which woke me up. I turned over to try to get back to sleep. I tried for at least 10 minutes but it was no good, I was wide awake! I climbed down the steps of mine and Dani's bunk bed and went to make my way to the bathroom when I heard something coming from downstairs. What I heard was music coming from down there so I went to go see what it was. I only went a few steps down, so I could only just see what it was. There sat Sophia just strumming the strings of the guitar making it look so effortless and easy. A little tune escaped her lips, so quiet I had trouble making it out but when I could it sounded amazing! How comes she hasn't played before? I decided to go get my sisters so they could hear this for themselves.

I creeped back up the steps and went into Christina, Katherine and Amy's room. I went and sat next to Christina on her bed, gently shaking her shoulders until she awoke.

"Christina!" I softly said.

"Yeah, what do you want?" she said as she yawned,

"Wake the other two up while I go wake the others, Sophia is playing downstairs and she sounds amazing! But we have to be quiet, she doesn't know we can hear her." I answered getting up off her bed.

"Okay" she said sat up pushing her hair over to one side.

I went to wake Lisa and Dani up before we all met on the stairs. I think it was one of the very few times we have all been silent at once! We just sat at the top of the steps listening to Soph sing along side the guitar.

"She's really good!" Amy mouthed to us. I just nodded to agree.

When she was finished we followed Christina down the steps and she clapped Sophia. Her face turned a bright shade of red when she noticed that we were there.

"Why haven't you played to us before?" Christina asked.

"You heard that?" Sophia replied looking embarrassed,

"Yeah it was amazing!"

"Ohh, umm...thanks" Soph said looking up.

"You play anything else?" Lisa asked,

"Ehh, yeah, umm I guess" she stuttered a bit over her words.

"What can you play?" Dani then asked,

"Piano... A bit" she answered.

"Can u play us something?" Dani added

"I'd...id rather not" her head hung low.

"Why, what's wrong?" Lisa looked concerned.

"It's just I haven't played piano since my grampa's funeral... He was the one who taught me to play" she looked like she was about to burst into tears, "it's stupid really!" She added shaking her head.

"No, no it's not!" Christina went over to comfort her.

"Let us know when you're ready to play again and we will all be here, okay?" Christina said with an arm around Soph,

"Okay" she replied stopping herself from crying.

*************************

A/N: WARNING!! The next chapter has self harm in at the end.