Chapter 4- Daddy issues

WARNING: ****MILD VIOLENCE****

H a r r y

By the time I reach the daycare, it's already fucking closed. Sign flipped, lights out, and curtains draped over the doors. I had easily forgotten about Tuesdays, which were considered "Early days" at the "ABC" daycare center. I can't believe how irresponsible I was, how careless of time. I tug at my hair as I grip the wheel, running my fingers through the curly mess.

I had literally gotten a  speeding ticket on my way there, now I have a damn ticket that I can't afford to pay, and now I'm in deep shit with Des, assuming that he had picked Lux up seeing that I hadn't. I don't want him anywhere near her, he's capable of doing anything and everything he wants with his power over her, whereas she's completely incapable of defending herself and that fucking drains the life out of me.

I pull into the driveway, slamming my car door behind me as I jolt towards the steps of the raggedy piece of shit, I call a house. That Des calls a house. He had barely had enough money to buy it, let alone pay the bills, yet he didn't want to be homeless, and neither did my mum, so we moved in anyways. I remember when we first walked in the flat, I was young and gullible, I didn't have words to speak for myself, and this is what I had considered luxury. But looking now, this is anything but luxury, and if I had all the money in the world, I would purchase Lux and I a better home and leave these piece of shit for Des so he can piss off his life alone.

The walls are peeling and faded of colour. The flowers that my mum had planted ages ago, are still in cracked pots, brown and dead, much now recognized as ashes.

I compose myself for the ass beating I know I'm  about to receive. It's a quarter past 3, and he has this sappy ass rule as to where I can't arrive home no later then 2:30 on school nights. I have been at Stella's too long, and I had also forgotten to pick up Lux, which is why he's probably going to be 10 times angrier with me then usual. He doesn't like being handed down a responsibility, especially if it isn't his own. Hell, he can't even handle his own responsibilities, which is why he's such a drunken, abusive, bastard. 

I cautiously swing the door open, and subconsciously scan the room for the big ghastly figure that  usually sits in the dark on the worn out love seat in the corner, but he isn't there. My chest tightens as I peer into the kitchen, walking deeper into the living room. Where the hell is he? His car is outside, parked in it's usual spot but the house seems to be vacant.

And it's a bit too quiet..

"Des?" No response.

I walk deeper into the house, comfortably maneuvering through the dark, finding my way past corners until I reach Lux's room. I let out a breath I don't even know I'm holding and slowly step closer to her crib once I see that she is in soft slumber. I automatically scan over her body for noticeable bruises and scratches, but there aren't any except for the swell that is fading. Her lip twitches in her sleep and I can't help but smile down at my angelic little sister. I wish I could get her a bigger crib, it is a good thing she a little short for her age or she would have no space. My bed is too fucking small for the both of us to share, and the thought of her having to sleep in a crib until she passes the age of 7 sends a ping of guilt straight into my chest.

I lean in the crib, grasping the wood bars that act as a barrier. I press my lips against her damp forehead and keep them there a while for comfort. For her comfort as well as mine.

"Harry is here," I whisper, brushing a loose strand of blond hair behind her small ears. "Daddy is here baby."

Wood creaks from behind me, and my head snaps in that precise direction. A very large, and obviously drunk Des stands before me, fists balled and eyes blood shot. I carefully step away from the crib, and I standstill before Des with the rest of the courage I have left within me, knowing it is going to shrink and shrivel after Does has his way with me. Flash backs of times he has attacked me flood my mind and I can't help but clench and unclench my sweaty palms in anticipation.