Chapter 23: Close

RONNY POV

The shower went really well and I was still surprised that my mom had showed up. She was so nice to Xo, and she really tried yesterday. It blew me away, and I knew I had to go and thank her. 

I drove to the house and was relieved to see her car in the driveway. "Mom!" I called. 

"In the kitchen, come in," She replied. She smiled when she saw me. Her curly, brunette hair was tied in a ponytail, she was dressed in a polo and jeans. "I'm glad to see you. Do you want something to eat? I was making myself a sandwich." She asked me. 

"Sure, thanks Mom." I replied with a smile. 

"So I wanted to thank you." I started and she looked up at me. "When you came to the baby shower and apologized to Xo and was nice to her, I have to say it meant the world to me. I want you in our lives. Thank you mom, I love you." I told her, walking over and hugging her.

Her eyes were watery and smile wide, "Thank you honey. And again, I am truly sorry for what I've said and how I've acted. I was being a snob. Xo really does seem like a sweet girl, and I can't wait to meet my granddaughter." She said. I smiled happily. 

She hand me a plate with a sandwich on it and sat down at the kitchen table and I joined her. "So what are you up to today? Do you have work later?" She asked casually. 

"Well, there's a problem.." I started. 

She looked up curiously, so I continued, "I sort of got fired." I admitted. 

My mother couldn't contain her gasp. "Ronny! What happened?" She asked. 

"It was stupid, I worked with Xo's ex-boyfriend, he mouthed off, said some inappropriate things and swung on him. Both of us got arrested and fired." I told her. 

"Ron.. What are you gonna do? What did Xo say?" My mother asked. 

I ran my fingers through my hair, "Well I haven't exactly told her yet.." I admitted. She shot me a look, "I know, I know. I need to tell her." I said. 

She chuckled, "I think you should." 

---BREAK---

That night I came home and the house and it was empty. Xo had a late night meeting so I was gonna have to wait to tell her the truth until she got home.  

I watched some tv to try and wait for her until I was too tired and went to bed. 

When I woke up in the morning, I was happy to find Xo tucked into bed with me. I kissed her hair and I could feel her stir. I smiled and brushed her hair away, and kissed her neck. She softly moaned, "Someone's in a frisky mood this morning." She said with a smile. 

"I'm just happy to be with you, my gorgeous girlfriend." I said. 

"Well then." She said suggestively. She swung herself up and then faced me, starting to kiss me slowly. I scooched into her to get closer, placing my palm on her swollen stomach. 

"Can you believe that the baby is going to be here in like two months." She said as we broke apart. 

"I know. I can't wait." I replied. 

"So maybe we should start picking out names, tonight?" She suggested. 

"Wait what time do you have work today?" She asked. 

I had to tell her now.

"Xo, I have to tell you something." I started. 

"Uh oh, that doesn't sound good." She said. 

"Yeah, uhh I kinda sorta lost my job." I said awkwardly. 

"Ronny! When?" She asked. 

I gulped, "That night I fought with Warner." I admitted quietly. 

She looked at me, "You've been out of a job for weeks and you didn't tell me?" She asked angrily. 

"Xo, I'm sorry, I just panicked." I told her. 

She ran her fingers through her hair. "Fine, it's okay. I understood why you were nervous. So what now?" She asked me. 

"I don't know. I may need your help."