Unspoken Words

a/n - not so much fluff :) written while on vacation. it's a little deep, so enjoy :3 I personally quite like this chapter.

oh yes, it's a oneshot :D

-

Lucy is happy whenever Natsu is happy, most of the times. She started to come to terms with her own feelings for Natsu around the time where they defeated Oracion Seis. She tried to save him, to be with him, to help him as much as she could, but she knew it was never enough somehow.

"Natsu, what happened ? What did you dream of ?" She asks softly, tenderly patting his arm as he wakes up screaming in her bed.

"Nothing !" Natsu yells and Lucy feels her heart sink a little as he doesn't tell her. Not that it's her business anyway.

"Can I have a hug ?" Lucy smiles at this. Maybe, just maybe, it would all work out, she thinks as she allows the dragon slayer to hug her.

Lucy knows they're best friends. Nothing more, nothing else.

"We're best friends right Luce ?" He would ask randomly one day and she would smile sadly.

"Of course !" Her smile never reached her eyes.

When they came back from Edolas, she feels a stab a jealousy as Lisanna hugs Natsu tightly and he doesn't pull away, in fact, he hugs her back just as tightly. She wipes away a small tear and brushes it off as happiness for the girl and Natsu.

"Hey ! I'm Lisanna, I heard you're Natsu's best friend ! Thanks for taking care of him when I wasn't around !" Lisanna chirps in a friendly tone, sticking a hand out for Lucy to shake. Lucy didn't miss the intended meaning behind her words, whether it was intentional or not. Lisanna was back, which meant Lucy didn't need to be with Natsu anymore right ?

"Welcome back." She resigns herself to fate, as she takes Lisanna's outstrectched hand, and she smiles a sad smile that Lisanna doesn't catch.

Two weeks later, Natsu and Lisanna announces that they are dating. It breaks Lucy's heart, and she spends hours sobbing in her apartment. Everyone is happy for the new couple, congragulations and blessings were given. Of course, Lisanna is perfect to everyone, while she was just a useless replacement.

"Congragulations," She says softly to Natsu and Lisanna, shooting them a fake smile. Natsu looked thoroughly happy, and so was Lisanna, and everyone else in the guild except her.

"Thanks Luce !" Natsu says, hugging her. She hugs him back, and a part of her knows that this is probably one of their last hugs.

Lucy packs and leaves, one day later. She doesn't need to face the happy couple. A bitter part of her wonders if anyone would even notice that she left. No one will, she thinks sadly as she sits on the train.

She returns a few years later, confident in her new abilities and maybe just a little happier. Her feelings for Natsu never did fade, but she pretends that they aren't there. Natsu and Lisanna are probably happy and married now, she would be surprised if they aren't.

"I'm back," Lucy says as she steps into the guild, a nostalgic smile on her face as she notices the minimal change in the place. It's almost as if I never left, she thinks.

"Lucy !" Happy hugs her tightly, sobbing into her shoulder. Gray and Erza rush over, enveloping her in their embraces as well. The guild memebers chorus "Welcome back." and "Glad to see you again."

She walks away from them, a little surprised to hear that Natsu and Lisanna have broken up years ago. She sees Natsu standing there, his eyes wide with disbelief and happiness. Lucy smiles hesitantly, opening her arms for a hug. Natsu grins, and she doesn't miss the tear that falls from his eye as he runs over, knocking her over with a hug.

"Hey Natsu." She says quietly.

"Hey Luce, I've missed you," He murmurs, stroking her hair lightly, his eyes full of love, and she doesn't miss this. His unspoken words are clear to her - I love you.

"I know. I've missed you too, Natsu."

Two weeks later, they got together.

"Why did it take so long ?" Natsu asks her one day and she can only smile.

-

a/n - so did you all like it ? :) I hope you all did, and yeah, remember to vote and comment :D