The Dance

Days flew by, and James and I drew closer to one another. He started to become more of a brother to me then Jordan ever was. At least he cared. Even though my brother came to the house once a week to visit, he rarely asked whether or not I was happy living here.

Over the weeks I had spent with James, I met interesting people. One was called Seamus, a short and stalky guy with cropped blonde hair and shinning, clear blue eyes. Seamus was the definition of pasty; he was always white as a ghost even in the heat of summer. He was someone who never failed to make people laugh, with his sarcastic humor. He’s that guy that you have to ask whether or not he’s serious, because you can never truly tell. I quickly became close with him as well.

Since my 20th birthday was in two days, James and Seamus decided to throw me a party. They told me that there would be lots of people there that I’ve never met in my life, so naturally I was a little nervous. While I was upstairs prepping myself, I could hear the loud Dubstep music pulsing through the floor boards, courtesy of the boys’ friend, Dan. Dan was a cheery guy with soft brown eyes and a gorgeous smile. He was always so happy and I envied him for that.

As I curled the final piece of my long hair and pulled on my shimmering black dress I couldn’t help but think about what has happened to me lately. My boyfriend is dead, my brother acts like he hates me and I may never be in love again. I was really hoping that maybe there was someone down stairs that could make me feel alive again.

Taking deep breaths I started to descend down the stairs slowly. At the bottom of them stood James, dressed in a pair of dark jeans, a white dress shirt and a crooked blue tie. He smiled when our eyes met and when I reached him he pulled me into a hug.

“You look stunning, Gena” James said when he released me

“Thanks, James” I replied hugging him again.

That’s when I saw him. He was tall and well-built with jet black hair that covered most of his forehead, and dark brown eyes that shone brightly. He wore a bright blue beanie and a black sweater. Our eyes met shortly and he smiled then whispered something to the guy he was standing with, causing him to look at me too. This one was just as tall and also wore a beanie. He had the same dark hair although shorter he also had a scruffy beard, and lighter colored brown eyes. He wore a pair of hipster like glasses and a purple t-shirt with what James explained to me as a creeper on it.

“Who are they?” I asked James, nodding in the two boys’ direction.

“Them? The one with the glasses is Eddie, and the other is Aleks.” He answered a smile on his face.

“Aleks…” I repeated to myself as I walked to the kitchen, just when a slow song began to play and people started pairing up to dance.

I barely finished pouring a drink when there was a light tap on my shoulder. When I spun around expecting to see James or Seamus I was surprised to see that boy, Aleks standing in front of me.

“Oh, hi!” I said, shocked at the way his eyes reminded me of Dakota…. They had the same loving, tenderness that I missed dearly.

“Did I frighten you? I didn’t mean to, I just thought I’d introduce myself, I’m Aleks.”

“I’m Gena. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Aleks.” I smiled, shaking his hand.

“Look I know we just met and all but I was wondering if I might have this dance?” he asked as he offered me his hand.

I took it and he led me to the dance floor where we started slowly rotating in circles. Neither of us said a word, fearing we might ruin the moment. We just looked at each other’s eyes and I could feel something pulling us closer, like we were supposed to be here. Before I knew what was happening I felt his forehead against my own and our bodies were perfectly in line. My arms went from being lightly on his shoulders to being flung around his neck, pulling us even closer. His hands slipped down from sitting on my waist to being wrapped around my hips. I could no longer hear the music, only the sound of our hearts beating in time with one another. It was like there was no one else in the room, only us and nothing else mattered. His lips crashed onto mine before I could stop him. They fit perfectly with mine like they were meant to be together, like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. This is how I wanted to stay, even though we had just met, I knew this was it.