Chapter 26 - Shelter

(Three days later)

      My mom has been trying to keep my mind busy today with some mind games she knew I liked. Ever since I was young I’ve enjoyed keeping my mind stimulated, that’s why I graduated early. Right after a meeting I had to go to at work, my family and I went out to lunch and ate some grilled sandwiches at that really nice café Lou took me to. When we got home my mom fried my mind to keep it busy.

As I spun the rubix cube around in my fingers the doorbell rings, startling me. My mom giggles at my small jump and excuses herself to go catch the door. As soon as she did, a warm ‘hello’ came from her mouth and a deep voice echoed it back to her nicely. My head quickly spun as I caught the sight of Lou standing at the threshold. I pick myself up and meet my mom at the door and nod at the blue eyed boy. He gives me a light smile that caused my heart to stir. It wasn’t his normal mischievous smile, but it was a passionate and kind smile. Love behind it.

As I was so busy examining him I didn’t notice the beautiful blonde standing happily next to him with a large cardboard box in her arms.

“Hey.” Lottie’s lip gloss shimmers at me.

I just nod at her as well, not knowing what to expect since they were coming here at such random.

After a bit of small talk my mom gets to the real question. “So what can we help you with?”

“We just were wondering if you had anything to donate to a women’s homeless shelter?” Lottie explains, adjusting the box in her arms.

“Please don’t tell me any part of your family volunteers there.” I grumble, I can’t take that.

“Our mum actually.” They both say together.

‘Go figure.’ I think to myself, rolling my eyes.

“Of course we have things to donate!” My mom exclaims happily. She had always been a generous women. Ever since I was born she taught me that giving is more important than receiving. Or…maybe that was the Lord?

I fold my arms and she nudges me roughly, giving me a face in the process.

“Don’t be a wanker.” Lou lifts a evil eyebrow at me with a smirk.

“Wow. Wanker? Really?” I am tempted to stick my tongue out at him, maybe even playfully smack him. He just keeps the same look on his face as he looks to his sister.

“Lottie is going to come in and help you with your stuff. All the donations will be put into the box,” He explains. “Be ready by four because we’re leaving then.”

I lift a eyebrow. “Who’s this we business?”

“You, mum, Lottie and I of course.” He says this with a bit of sass.

“When-”

“Be ready.” He intrudes and walks away, leaving Lottie standing at our doorway awkwardly.

My mom leads her in sweetly and tells her she will look around for things to donate. She shifts the weight of the box in her hands and looks to me.

“Would you fancy giving anything?” She asks me.

“I might have a few things up in my room.” I gesture her with a hand. “Come on.”

We scale the stairs and she drops the big box on the bed and takes a gentle seat as well.

As I look through my drawers she speaks quietly, “I heard you had a appointment the other day. You alright?”

I just nod as I throw a old sweater into the box. Before I can go back she grasps my wrist and looks me in the eye deeply.