Chapter 14 - Aquamarine

My stomach was all anxiety, a lump of fear and some kind of pain clogged my throat. The figure in the mirror wasn't me. It couldn't be me! My shorts and crop top were me. The cute way my converse sneakers weren't quite tied right was me. But this? That wasn't me.

Flowing down my shoulders was my same hair, but the color was no longer a dark black. A light teal color now layers my hair, the teal rushes down until it melts into a darker blue on the tips. My hair....is....blue. There was no way I was going to shave my head, so I decided to dye it. I didn't think it through! I was in a good mood today! I was living on a prayer and did something crazy! Now I can't change it. I'm not saying it looked bad, but its very different, and I don't like change. Not to mention the women whom did my hair straightened it to make it even more different!

I take some of the hair between my fingers and slide down a long straight strand. It still kind of felt like my hair. I have to take myself away from my mirror and do something else. So I go on Tumblr. There was no work today, it's a holiday. Which is a relief, seeing i didnt want as many people as necessary to see my hair.

I scroll through my feed and answer a few questions on the screen as my door opens and little pitter pat of feet rushes in. Nye stops abruptly as she spots me hair. "Wh-"

"Please. Don't ask." I cut her off, closing my eyes and shaking my head.

She places her doll on the floor and runs to my bed, leaping on top of it. "Your hair is...blue!" She gives me a huge cheeky smile and crawls to me before sliding her hands through it.

My eyes stay on my laptop screen. "D-do you like it?" I stutter at her.

She nods her head franticly and continues playing with it. "It's really....really pretty Rose!" She giggles.

I finally look to her now that I know she doesn't hate it. Her silky black hair shines in the evenings sun, the same black I used to have. I'm trying not to miss it. Its hard.

I wrap one of my arms around her shoulders and pull her into a hug. Her little head rests perfectly in the crook between my arm and neck. She slides a small arm around my stomach and pulls closer. I loved these moments we shared, they were simple but loving. We breathe in together for the longest time before she speaks.

"What's that?" My eyes travel down her arm to her little finger that points to one of my legs.

A dark purple bruise lay directly in the middle of my shin. My memories go back to when Lou kicked me yesterday, but, he didn't kick me hard enough to bruise me that badly. I bend in and wipe two fingers past it. I whimper as it aches with the simplest touch.

"Did someone hurt you?" She inquires quietly, still holding me tight. I shake my head.

"No, it was an accident."

"It looks bad."

I lay myself back down and get comfortable again with her. "No, it's fine." I lie. "I'll be alright hun."

She looks up at me with the biggest smile. I loved her with all my heart. That smile was always genuine. She plays with some of my blue strands of hair as I finish scrolling through my Tumblr feed. My mind was still cluttered with the thought of my hair, the thought of Louis...the thought of me. Louis. I have to go show him this! I did it for him anyway.

"I'll be right back okay honey?" I look to Nye.

She nods and gives me a quick peck on the cheek before hopping of my bed and running out of the room. I follow closely behind her, shuffling my converse across the carpeted floor slowly. I was in no rush to leave the house and have my other neighbors see me.