Chapter 20 - Skates

I got home at about ten last night, after spending two hours just sitting on the roof with Lou, not saying a word.

By the time I got up today I was sore all over. My elbows, back, neck, knees and even feet ached. I knew some of it was from laying on that hard surface all night, but the aching of my elbows, knees and feet were something different. I try to ignore the irritating pain as I do my Saturday morning chores. I make breakfast for Nye - a bagel and toast. Then I clean up the kitchen, do my laundry, clean up my room a little and go on Tumblr of course. After that I had a little energy and my bones were a little more flexible and since the weather wasn’t too hot out I put on my running shoes and took a jog around my development. The sweet air reminded me of spring, but I knew it was the light transformation of summer becoming fall. I didn’t like the cold seasons…the only reason I could bear it was because I was able to wear the fluffy, thick sweaters that I missed to much.

Once I got back it was about two in the afternoon. I came inside to see my mom and Nye making a cake in the kitchen. As I grab a ice cold bottle of water from the refrigerator I watch them for a moment. Nye wears a apron matching my moms that says, ‘Mommies little helper’ on it. It was a bit long and drug on the floor as she waddled around, grabbing things as my mom asked for them. She was such a good girl for her age. She never fought with anyone and cared so much for all whom she met. I walk to her and place a hand in her silky hair, ruffling it up a little bit. I knelt down and grabbed her hands.

“You helping mommy?” I smile.

She nods. “Um hm. We’re making Boston cream pie!” She shouts at me excitedly.

I look to mom who is smiling at us. “Oh! That sounds so yummy! I can’t wait to have some!” I pinch her cheek lightly and stand.

“I’m going to take a shower.” I tell mom, who is still watching me.

“Alright sweetie.”

I go to by bedroom and peel off the clothes that clung to my body. When I get into the shower I just let the cool water fall down my body, each drop leaving a trail. I make sure to thoroughly wash myself and then I hop out, trying not to stare at the purple bumps that seem to have spread to my back now. I apply some lotion to my body and then get dressed into my favorite pink distressed shorts and a long sleeved sheer shirt. I begin to tie up my curls as I hear my doorbell ring and mom answer the door. I could hear her excitement as she talked with the person.

As I exit my room my mom calls to me, “Rose! Lottie is here to see you!”

I smile as I walk down the stairs and meet her beautiful blue eyes gleaming back to me. “Hey!” I greet her.

She waves with a huge smile. “Hey love!"

When I get ahead of her she pulls me into one of her soft, yet firm hugs that leaves me paralyzed. When she pulls back from me she pulls at one of my blue curls that have fallen out of my soft bun at the top of my head.

“I can’t express how much I still adore your hair color! It flatters you so much.” Her words always leave comforting patterns over my heart.

“Oh! I have something to ask you.” She jumps in.

I nod in response and she giggles; I’m unaware as to why.

“I was thinking about taking Lou rollerblading. He’s been acting so weird since Grace left and I can’t help but feel he needs something.” She explains to me slowly. Her face becomes a wrinkle as she thinks. “So I was wondering if you would fancy going with us. I think he would like that…” She gives me a wide smile as if to entice me.

I tilt my head at her with a look. She knows I don’t like going out into public places! Especially with my new hair! There was no way that would happen! The look she gives me next told me she knew what I was thinking. She claps her hands together.